811493 repeatedly

Paul J. Perillo

This is particularly directed to Bill Peele [MS]:

I have had this same problem with this automatic update id'd in my subject
field. It keeps coming and coming and coming.

Has anyone looked up that Q-number in the MSKB? It has to do with WIN XP,
of all things! Why are we WIN2K users even getting it?!

Mr. Peele, I have now followed your first solution, as related to Greg
Doggett and others. Some have written back and said that they tried your
solutions and they have not worked. One of the ones I feel maybe could not
work for me, namely your checking that the right registry keys are created.
I noted that at least one of them referenced Service Pack 4. After the way
that dingus crashed my one computer so I had to drop a bomb on it to make it
serviceable again, I will NEVER let that thing onto a computer as long as I
live, unless MS Bill & Company can certify unequivocally promise that it is
safe. I see people, to this hour, are still having problems with SP4.
Would I need to check a registry key that names a package that is not on my
computer?

I have nothing against you personally and do not in any way have any
intention of meanness against anyone, no , not an MS tech, and certainly not
against you, personally. BUT, notwithstanding your stated disclaimer,
please find us poor end-users a bona-fide solution that not only should work
but DOES work!

Please forgive the copiousness of my diatribe, but this current particular
problem is getting tiresome and aggravating.

Why do we need a fix in Windows 2000 that the knowledge base record says is
meant for Windows XP?

Bill Peele [MS]

<Has anyone looked up that Q-number in the MSKB? It has to do with WIN XP, of all things! Why are we WIN2K users even
getting it?!>

From the article:

811493 - MS03-013: Buffer Overrun in Windows Kernel Message Handling Could Lead to Elevated Privileges
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];811493

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Terminal Server Edition
Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.

<One of the ones I feel maybe could not work for me, namely your checking that the right registry keys are created. I noted
that at least one of them referenced Service Pack 4. After the way that dingus crashed my one computer so I had to drop a
bomb on it to make it serviceable again, I will NEVER let that thing onto a computer as long as I live, unless MS Bill &
Company can certify unequivocally promise that it is safe. I see people, to this hour, are still having problems with SP4.
Would I need to check a registry key that names a package that is not on my computer?>

This is a post Service Pack 3 update. This means it came out after SP3 and is included in SP4, which means the update
uses a SP4 naming convention. The below is also from the article the URL above references.

This patch requires Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 (SP2) or Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP3).

To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Microsoft Windows 2000.

To verify that the patch is installed on your computer, confirm that the following registry key exists:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows 2000\SP4\Q811493

Since the SP4 in the registry key structure above tells us this update came out after SP3 and was included in SP4, you
would need to look for a registry key that names a package that is not on your computer. If you have any post SP4
updates installed we will also see a SP5 registry sub-key under the Windows 2000 key.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Steve Hamer

Well, my entire SQA group is being affected by this
issue. This particular hotfix was sucessfully installed
on all of our W2k SP3 workstations and W2K sp3 server in
Oct. (we are using a SUS server) In Feb. we started
getting daily messages saying to install 811493 again. We
have tried every solution offered, and verified all
registry settings etc. but to no avail. As a result, we
no longer have a "KNOWN, GOOD" OS configuration with which
to test our products. We have resorted to installing SP4
on all of our machines, which means WE are no longer
testing our software in what we have published as "the
minimmum supported OS configuration". God help us now,
because Microsoft can't seem to.
<Has anyone looked up that Q-number in the MSKB? It has
to do with WIN XP, of all things! Why are we WIN2K users
even
getting it?!>

From the article:

[...]

newsgroup/thread

bikermike

We have the same problem with some of our Win2k machines.
We tried the solutions put forth by Bill P. but no go.
Anyone have a better solution?

Thanks

[...]

From the article:

[...]

.

Stephen White

Same problem here. 11 installs of 811493 since 2/11/04

[...]

From the article:

[...]

Rick

Agreed with all above statements.

I have no intention of putting SP4 on my machine. I've
encountered too many software packages that don't support
it. Installing SP4 isn't a solution. It's a cover-up.
Like buying a new car because your old one has a flat tire.

No thanks. I guess I'll just disable critical update
notification and manually check windows update from time
to time.
[...]

From the article:

--------------------
From: "Paul J. Perillo" <[email protected]>
Subject: 811493 repeatedly
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:00:01 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.windows_update

--

Paul,

I apologize for being quite so long but I have been looking into this. The update itself, meaning the updated files, are okay
but we have found an issue with the detection metadata code. This is being fixed and is currently sceduled to replace the
current package on 3/9/2004. Once the package on the servers are replaced this update should stop re-offering itself.

Once again the only change is to the detection code of the package and not to the updated Windows files.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Gary Smith

Bill Peele said:
I have had this same problem with this automatic update id'd in my subject
field. It keeps coming and coming and coming.
Has anyone looked up that Q-number in the MSKB? It has to do with WIN XP,
of all things! Why are we WIN2K users even getting it?!

Quote from the article:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Terminal Server Edition
Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0