7800GS 256mb BFG unable to play BF2 :-(

Reaction score
Sorry need to wrack your brains again - bought the 7800GS OC 256mb BFG, however I am having serious problems playing BF2 - everytime I load a multi-player map on any video quality setting the game freezes and I have to power down my pc with the off switch.

I have downloaded and installed the correct driver 91.47 (I think) and installed the latest BF2 patch V1.4....prior to changing my graphics card I installed 2gb of ram and this worked like a dream with my old card ATi 9800SE.

With the grahics card I alsdo upgraded my psu to a £70 Tagan to give the new card a bit of extra juice - I can't understand why I can play the game at the highest settings 1900x1024 with everthing maxed out, but unable to play multi-player on the lowest settings :-(

Please help as I am one unhappy dude....

Reaction score
if you`ve moved between ATi and nVidia cards you may be suffering from leftover driver files.

Try..driverwasher? I think is the name tyo make sure all evidence of ATI drivers are gone first :)

K

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
how, much power does the PSU supply? It may be that the video card is not getting enough juice

Reaction score
Kenny - I have searched, but not been able to locate driverwasher

Alf - I bought a new Tagan 550w PSU - I future proofed and bought one that can also be used for dual SLi, for future upgrades.

Please note that the game runs on full settings in single player mode and I have logged the GPU core temp and this has stayed below 65c nearly half the thresh hold...the game only freezes when I load up the multi-player maps!!! and it's driving me nuts...I have tried re-installing the game since these problems began and also re-installed all the patches...updated the graphices driver...and reinstalled it again last night, but still no luck...I have turned the video settings to low and this hasn't helped

:-(

I have checked the EA FAQ and they do not mention support for the 7800GS but I know a couple of people that are running these cards wihout problems

- - - - H . E . L . P - - - - -

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I think Kenny means http://www.drivercleaner.net/ ;)

Have you tried to play it on medium setting to be sure its not prob with the pc choking trying to run on high everything? A 7800GS on 1900x1024 with everthing maxed out, as you put it is pushing it....

Whats the full spec of the pc? (Whats your CPU & Motherboard?)

Lastly what are the temps while gaming? This will tell you if you dont know :thumb:

Reaction score
Thanks V_R,

I have tried playing the game on Low settings and works np, but when I load a multi player map - it will let me choose the team and move a few steps in the games then it freezes and I have to power down.

I have logged the GPU temp in game (single player) and it did not go over 65c whilst on High

I have an MSi mother board and AMD 64 Athlon with 2Gb of ram (2 X 1Gb)

The game worked fine with my old GPU ATi Radeon 9800SE...so I have no idea why this new card is choking on low...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It sounds like a software conflight with BF2 and your drivers somehow, the drivercleaner should be some help :) Have you tried uninstalling the game, running the cleaner then re-installing it? It might have some ATI/NVidia specific files for the game that messes something up - although I am just speculating here. Might be worth a shot anyway.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
What about playing another game does it do the same thing?

Reaction score
Ian, I will try the reinstall and use the drive cleaner prior to reinstalling (do you think this would only affect the multi-player environment though)

V_R, I will try Quake 4 when I get home although BF2 is so addictive that I stopped playing Quake the day after I bought the game to go back to BF2 lol

Reaction score
Hi guys I uninstalled the game, ran the driver cleaner, followed all the instructions, installed graphics driver, installed game - set video settings on low...did not load any of patchs for game - worked for 5mins then crashed after I had taken my second flag..oh boy do I want to smash this god damn pc up and burn it on an open fire.....aggghhhhhhh....I am so bloody angry my bloods boiling red hot and I've got white knuckles of fury that are gonna unleash a whole can of whoop arse......(deep breath)......on this pc....why me......any ideas what I can do......

Last edited:

Ask a Question