    possible to use my Win XP Home CD on this machine with the same product code
    as on my main PC? Do I have to buy some kind of extra license? Will upgrades
    work on both machines?

    Anasurimbor, Jul 21, 2009

  2. Anasurimbor wrote:
    > I just had another PC given to me, old but works, with win 98 SE.
    > Is it possible to use my Win XP Home CD on this machine with the
    > same product code as on my main PC? Do I have to buy some kind of
    > extra license? Will upgrades work on both machines?

    You need a license for each computer you plan to install Windows XP on. I
    don't know if you can stuill buy the licenses from Microsoft - but I doubt
    it. If the computer came with Windows 98SE though - it probably wouldn't
    run Windows XP very well.

    What are the hardware specifications? Processor type/speed, memory amount,
    hard disk drive space?

    When you can buy refurbished Windows XP machines (and Windows Vista
    machines) for $150-$800 - depending on where/how much of everything you
    get - it's not worth it to buy just the Windows XP OS anymore - IMHO.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley, Jul 21, 2009

  3. Anasurimbor

    Anasurimbor Guest

    It's got sufficient resources according the XP installation requirements but
    I'll likely get a cheap PC with XP already installed and use the 98 PC for
    some older games I have (like System Shock) that won't run on XP. I just
    want to use it to back up the programs I'm writing instead of copying them to
    disks.

    Anasurimbor, Jul 22, 2009