200G Hard Drive

Michael Keltai

How do I make XP recognize the full 200g of my hard drive
for home video storage?

Pete Baker

Hi Michael

The advise will depend on how much of the drive capacity you are currently
seeing.

If in My Computer the drive properties shows 186Gb you don't have a
problem... check any of the multiple posts on drive capacity in this
Newsgroup.

If you have around 137Gb then you'll need to check your mainboard supports a
large drive. BIOS update may be needed and make sure you have Service Pack
1 installed.

hope that helps
Pete

Donald Link

Well this awnser probably has be given a hundred time but the first thing
you have to have is xp with sp1 installed. Without sp1 installed you will
only be able to reconize 137gb. The second you have to have is a computer
BIOS that will reconize drives or 137gm which is most recent computers.
Once done with the sp1 upgrade you may need to convert the extra space to a
partition and and format it. I did not have the problem with my 200gb since
I installed xp with xp1 on my 80gb maxtor and then transferred drive
contents to the 200 gb and then made it the master and everything was fine.
I used the Max Blast software that came with the drive to prepare the drive.
I am sure there are other ways of doing this but have not tried any others.

Paul

I have read about doing a slipstream installation of XP so that SP1 is a part of
the installation from the beginning so you can use the full >137GB partitions.
Do a Google search on this for instructions if you are interested.

Also DriveImage by PowerQuest can transfer from one drive to another. I believe
it will try and do a semi-intelligent partition scheme (i.e. if you have two
partitions on smaller disk of say 30GB and 50GB, it will make two partitions on
the larger disk around 80GB and 120GB)

Paul