2003 to XP only 2 Computers, 1 crossover Cable Problems

cambarne

What I am trying to do is fully connect the two computers together so
that I can for example view the event console on the XP machine and or
do any adminastrative tasks not just share files.

same admin user and password defined on both boxes. XP home computer
trying to have a direct connection to my Windows 2003 Server machine.
The machines appear to be connected, I can Map Drives, Share Folders
etc.

I have Service path 1A on the XP machine and any updates that are
currently available for the 2003 machine.

No firewalls that I can see running.

either using hostnname or IP address from either machine I can get the
following;

From 192.168.0.1 ( 2003)
ping 192.168.0.2

Reply from 192.168.0.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

From 192.168.0.2 (XP)
ping 192.168.0.1

Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

ipconfig shows everything ok

Yet when I try to use the MMC to connect to the XP Home machine I get
the following;

Computer bretdongfe19sd cannot be managed. The network path was not
found.

I have also tried the following but I am now lost, can anyone please
help?;

net computer \\192.168.0.2 /add
net computer \\bretdongfe19sd /add

result
The command completed successfully.

net view only shows up one machine
Server01

I have the following in my lmhosts and hosts file on each machine;
127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.0.2 bretdongfe19sd bretdongfe19sd.<domain>.com

127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.0.2 server01 server01.<domain>.com

thanks
Cam

Steven L Umbach

You say you can map a drive from the W2003 computer TO the XP computer and access a
file share on it. I would try to connect to Computer Management from the W2003 server
to the XP computer using it's IP address instead of name to see if that helps. By the
way an XP Home computer can not be a member of a domain but can still access shares
if it has network connectivity and the user is logged on with the proper credentials.
You also should try logging onto your W2003 server with a logon name/password that is
an administrator on the XP Home box to try and connect to Computer Management. ---
Steve

cambarne

I have tried to connect from the 2003 to XP using the IP address but I
get the same error;

Computer 192.168.0.2 cannot be managed. The network path was not

BTW in explorer under Microsoft Windows Network I have the following

+ <domain>
+ <domain>.com

and then if you click on the + <domain>.com you get;

+ <domain>
<domain>.com
bretdongfe19sd

The + <domain> is where the 2003 server is, and the <domain>.com is
where the XP computer is, is this correct as I would suppose that what
should be displayed is something like this;

<domain>.com
bretdongfe19sd

I have checked the settings a number of times and both machines are
part of the same domain, but this is my first time of setting somthing
like this up and I fear that there is something fundamental that I am
missing?

cambarne

(e-mail address removed) (cambarne) wrote in message

In addition does anyone know of any problems relating to running the
following together;

XP home (french version)
Server 2003 (english)

thanks
Cam

Steven L Umbach

The only other thing I can think of is to check that the remote registry
service is enabled on the XP Home computer. I am not real familiar with XP
Home. The place you are looking for domains is in My Network Places which
is for network browsing. You have to look in Active Directory Users and
Computers on a domain controller to see what computers are a member of a
domain and the computer must be "joined" to the domain to have an active
account with a secure channel to the domain controller that will show using
the nltest utility. However a non domain computer can possibly access a
domain computer and vice versa if the user trying access has proper logon
credentials for the domain or local user account on the target
omputer. --- Steve

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
cambarne said:
In addition does anyone know of any problems relating to running the
following together;

XP home (french version)
Server 2003 (english)

thanks
Cam

As Steve said, XP Home is NOT designed to participate in a domain. You can
get around it with his suggestions.

Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.

cambarne

steven,

thanks for your input, I tried a number of different things now but
nothing would work, and
after a little more testing I have come to the conclusion that I
cannot manage a windows XP home computer from a 2003 Server machine,
you can connect the two together but cannot do any funky stuff using
Snap ins or active directory, I am going to give up on the idea and
hope that there are no practical questions on the MCSE.

regards,

Cam

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
cambarne said:
steven,

thanks for your input, I tried a number of different things now but
nothing would work, and
after a little more testing I have come to the conclusion that I
cannot manage a windows XP home computer from a 2003 Server machine,
you can connect the two together but cannot do any funky stuff using
Snap ins or active directory, I am going to give up on the idea and
hope that there are no practical questions on the MCSE.

regards,

Cam

XP Home is not designed for this task.

And I'm sure it won't work. I doubt you will see this on the XP or any other
exams.. Home is not designed for this stuff.

I haven't tested it, but if you want to test it (not sure if you did this
yet) that if you make sure ICF is off and remote reg is started (as Steve
said) and make sure you're logged on with identical user/pass and then
create an MMC from the W2k machine and add that machine's IP in and see if
it works.

XP Home is VERY LIMITED hence why its only costs 1/3 in price compared to
Pro.

Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.

Steven L Umbach

Just to add to what Ace had to say which I agree with 100 percent.

If you are studying for MCSE, get a full version of XP Pro - you will want to know
all what it does and is will be the focus on exams that cover XP as XP Pro is for the
corporate/business market. You can get it at decent prices such as the link below for
OEM edition. Note that "hardware required" purchase often can be fulfilled buying a
five dollar mouse or a keyboard.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=37-102-143&depa=6

If that is not possible for you, then use another evaluation edition of Windows 2003
or Windows 2000. I have several copies of each installed in my home lab. I have a
couple older computers that I built from parts with removable drive trays. With three
computers and multiple removeable drive trays that include triple boot operating
systems [same or different operating systems] I can quickly set up almost any
scenario - multiple dc's, child domains, separate forests, downlevel NT domain,
c. --- Steve

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
Steven L Umbach said:
[...]

I had to even setup Home once back in the beginning for a specific client
just to show them how things don't work in it. They were trying to save $$
on their migration. Of course they grumbled and moaned, but finally ordered
a VL license (much cheaper route).

Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.

Steven L Umbach

That was a good way to get the point across and do the right thing. I finally got a
copy so I can see exactly what the differences are on it. XP Home is excellent for
it's intended purpose - a huge improvement over Windows 98. But the extras on XP Pro
are hard to resist. In particular I think Remote Desktop and Software Restriction
Policies make it a bargain. --- Steve