    any further. I've left it for hours and it does nothing.

    Task Manager doesn't report it as Non Responding.

    Thanks for any help.

    John, Dec 25, 2003

  2. John

    Dave Patrick Guest

    Save yourself some time and trouble, given that you'll more than likely end
    up with an unstable OS with all the remnants/ corruption left behind from
    the upgrade. Best to blow it all away and go for the clean install.

    To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 CD-Rom or setup disks.
    The set of four install disks can be created from your Win2k CD-rom; change
    to the \bootdisk directory on the cd-rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos)
    or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

    During Windows 2000 setup, at some point, will want to confirm the previous
    operating system for the upgrade; at that point you'll simply insert the
    qualified product install CD for it to verify. Then the install will
    proceed.

    Check the pc, mb or hardware manufacturer's web site for the latest bios and
    or Windows 2000 drivers for your devices.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect.

    Dave Patrick, Dec 25, 2003

  3. John

    Henry Guest

    I also encounter problem when upgrading the W2K (in fact
    re install W2K using the same version but wish to retain
    all existing data and setting). The setup hung at COM +
    something.

    To do a clean install, would all existing data and setting
    be erased.

    or other partitions
    >found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the

    install, then again
    >restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid

    unexpected drive
    >letter assignments with your new install.
    >
    >During Windows 2000 setup, at some point, will want to

    confirm the previous
    >operating system for the upgrade; at that point you'll

    simply insert the
    >qualified product install CD for it to verify. Then the

    install will
    >proceed.
    >
    >Check the pc, mb or hardware manufacturer's web site for

    the latest bios and
    >or Windows 2000 drivers for your devices.
    >

    >--
    >Regards,

    newsgroup.

    Henry, Dec 26, 2003