2000 DNS and 2003 DNS

James

Is it possible to run a W2K DNS and W2K3 DNS Server in the same AD
Domain with the DNS information stored in AD?

Herb Martin

James said:
Is it possible to run a W2K DNS and W2K3 DNS Server in the same AD
Domain with the DNS information stored in AD?

Yes. There are some advanced Win2003 features you cannot
use, but with only two servers these aren't important (as
far as I can recall.)

Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Herb said:
Yes. There are some advanced Win2003 features you cannot
use, but with only two servers these aren't important (as
far as I can recall.)

To clarify, Win2k3 supports replication partitions that will not replicate
to Wink2. ForestDNSzones and DomainDNSZones replication partitions will only
replicate to Win2k3. A zone of the same name must use the same replication
partition on all DCs in the forest.

Herb Martin

Kevin said:
To clarify, Win2k3 supports replication partitions that will not replicate
to Wink2. ForestDNSzones and DomainDNSZones replication partitions will only
replicate to Win2k3. A zone of the same name must use the same replication
partition on all DCs in the forest.

It doesn't really "clarify" to add that in the two server
instance since replication to anything unsupported by Win2000
would make no sense -- i.e., there are NO other replication
partners.

Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Herb said:
It doesn't really "clarify" to add that in the two server
instance since replication to anything unsupported by Win2000
would make no sense -- i.e., there are NO other replication
partners.

It would if he (James) changes the replication on the Win2k3 to one of the
replication partitions that don't exist in Win2k and he wonders why the zone
went away on the Win2k. If he then tried to re-create the zone on the Win2k,
the new zone would replicate to the Win2k3 and cause a zone conflict.

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
It would if he (James) changes the replication on the Win2k3 to one
of the replication partitions that don't exist in Win2k and he
wonders why the zone went away on the Win2k. If he then tried to
re-create the zone on the Win2k, the new zone would replicate to the
Win2k3 and cause a zone conflict.

I must second that notion about conflicts. All too often I see this in a
mixed 2000/2003 environment when an admin doesn't understand the replication
scopes offered in 2003 with respect to the app partitions compared to 2000's
inability to use them. My recommendation in a mixed scenario, unless an
admin fully understands the app partition replication scopes, is to watch
which partition to use, or even better, do not use a 2000 DNS server and
stick with all 2003 DNS so the conflict problem doesn't occur.

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
watched threads or subject.

It's easy:
How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations
Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile
"Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."

The only thing in life is change. Anything more is a blackhole consuming
unnecessary energy. - [Me]