    VESA Bus

    Sale price advertised in Computer Shopper $ ????

    Remember how much fun we had?

    RDN, Nov 17, 2005

  2. RDN

    Wim Zefat Guest

    Argh, suddenly I feel old..

    My first computer (1978) is still somewehere up in the attic. This was an
    'Elf II', which came in the form of a printed circuit board, two wooden
    blocks (on which you could mount the board), a plastic bag full of
    electronic components, a plastic bag full of keys for the on-board
    hexadecimal input keyboard and a stack of bad photocopies explaining how to
    assemble and how to program the thing.

    It had an 1802 processor and all of 256 bytes (yes: bytes - no kilo or
    anything in front of it) of memory - and part of that was used as video
    memory.. It had no external storage whatsoever and in fact, it didn't even
    have a BIOS. (A couple of months later I added an extension with a BIOS, a
    cassette interface and a whopping 16 kB memory. Still later I expanded the
    memory to an 'enormous' 64 kB and added a color video display, a 'real'
    keyboard and even a printer - an Epson which you'd better not drop - not
    that it would have damaged the printer, but it would probably have damaged
    the floor..)

    And yes, I had lots of fun with it. I still have the listing somewhere of
    the game of Life I wrote for it, which fitted (easily) in 128 bytes and
    used the remaining 128 bytes as video memory.

    Wim

    Wim Zefat, Nov 18, 2005

  3. RDN

    Bob Smith Guest

    "RDN" <> wrote in message
    > Intel 80286 DX CPU
    > 20MB Seagate HD
    > 3.5" floppy drive
    > 2MB SIMM RAM
    > Windows 2.0
    > I/O 2 serial, 1 parallel port
    > VESA Bus
    >
    > Sale price advertised in Computer Shopper $ ????
    >
    > Remember how much fun we had?

    I did not think there was a 286 DX? And VLB came in on 468 mobos?

    I have a (UK) Computer Shopper laying about somewhere from 1992 or 1993 -
    The largest HDD you could get was a 80 meg (yes MEG) one for £300. When I
    bought my 486 DX40 (AMD made one, Intel did not) around that time for £130,
    the latest thing was the 486 DX-100 coming in at over £700!

    Yikes!

    Bob

    Bob Smith, Nov 25, 2005
  4. RDN

    Guest

    Re: 1987 - for sale, latest greatest Computer

    I remember an ad for a 286 computer system which said it was for "Power
    Users"
    Bahahaha. How ridiculous is that now.

    My first computer was an Franklin Ace 1200, which was an Apple II+
    compatible. I loved it at first, but after the beginning I was sorely
    aware of its limitations and always wishing for more capabilities. Coin
    op arcade machines had much better games, and the big supercomputers
    had 3D graphics that blew away the Apple II's and IBM PC's. Yes I had
    some fun, but it was limited fun. To a large extent computers sucked
    back then. I have much more fun with my latest computer system with an
    AMD cpu. Now I'm more pleased with what the computer can do and not
    wishing as much for more capabilities.

    , Nov 26, 2005
  5. RDN

    Larry Hodges Guest

    "RDN" <> wrote in message
    > Intel 80286 DX CPU
    > 20MB Seagate HD
    > 3.5" floppy drive
    > 2MB SIMM RAM
    > Windows 2.0
    > I/O 2 serial, 1 parallel port
    > VESA Bus
    >
    > Sale price advertised in Computer Shopper $ ????
    >
    > Remember how much fun we had?

    The first one I worked on was an 8088 IMB dual floppy in 1982....I think.
    The first one I bought was a Compaq 286 suitcase computer running at a
    whopping 6mhz in 1985. It cost me $7,200 and weight about 40+ lbs. You
    could call it the first laptop. It even had a 10mb HD.

    I still remember going into Egghead Software in Portland (now Newegg) to buy
    software, and they had me set it up just to see it boot up. I'll never
    forget, one of the salesman said "what do you need all that power for?".
    Good times.......

    Larry Hodges, Nov 27, 2005
  6. RDN

    Randy Howard Guest

    Re: 1987 - for sale, latest greatest Computer

    wrote
    (in article
    <>):

    > I remember an ad for a 286 computer system which said it was for "Power
    > Users"
    > Bahahaha. How ridiculous is that now.

    About as ridiculous as calling a dual-core Athlon 64 "for Power
    users" will look 20 years from now.

    --
    Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)

    Randy Howard, Nov 29, 2005
  7. RDN

    Doug Lynn Guest

    HI, got you all beat probably, 1978 Heathkit H8 with Z80 cpu upgrade, . 2M
    disk drives, 3 hard sector 5 1/4 floppies, $10000. Also Heathkit H89 with
    Magnolia 2M floppies, 64M memory, $25000. I kicked myself I gave away my
    1972 Altair computer for free....

    doug
    www.lynncomp.com

    Doug Lynn, Jan 4, 2006
  8. RDN

    imploder Guest

    Thats a Cadillac!
    My first computer in 1980 or so was an Atari 800 with 16k ram!(later
    expanded to 64k!) It had a tape drive and also loaded programs like basic
    from cartridges. I had a rinky dink 1200 baud modem. I dont remember exactly
    but am pretty sure we paid around 800 bucks for it. Later I got an actual
    floppy drive! Highest resolution was something like 640x480 B&W or 320x240
    256 color. Ther was a funky 160x480 16 shade 1 color mode with rectangular
    pixels.
    Great fun though. Star Raiders! The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy game
    which would lock itself up and call you a dummy if you didnt finish it fast
    enough! BBSes!

    imploder, Jan 15, 2006
  9. RDN

    MIB037

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Ironically I need to find a PC of this era caple of reading an old MFM harddisk. Legacy data needs to be transferred they got stuck in a timewarp somewhere...

    MIB037, Mar 8, 2011

  1. Early 2 Riz

    939 Socket Motherboard for sale at newegg.com

    Early 2 Riz, Jun 12, 2004, in forum: AMD 64 Bit