16bit Hell

Reaction score
A friend of mine has asked me to look at her comp... aside from some minor issues which are easy to fix i think there is a problem with her display, please correct me if i'm wrong but in win2k can i run 24bit colour without the need of a video card other than the onboard 3d ati rage pro chipset? i've never used win2k so i'm a little green in this area, the system is an old p2 setup with 128mb of shared ram and a pathetic 8gb harddrive and graphics provided by the above, i've had a muck about with some settings but nothing happens, and when i try to select other screen resolutions (800x600) it just reverts back to the default (640x480)

Reaction score
Ive had a look around and cant really find anything suitable in the way of an expanation for you.

I'm not an expert on memory needs for resolutions however, I do know the higher the res and bit palette the more memory you will need. It has all been explaned to me before but unfortunately went in one ear out the other.

Basically if it keeps reverting back to the original setting its pretty much telling you "no way" The old onboard GFX chipsets can by quite limited at times.

Try dropping back to 16bit palette at 800x600 if that works try 1024x768.
It's an old puter dude, persevere ;)

You personally wont notice a difference between 16bit and 24 or even 32. Well i know I certainly dont. Not a on a desktop anyway. In games u do.

Try what ive suggested see if it works ;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... please correct me if i'm wrong but in win2k can i run 24bit colour without the need of a video card
OK, I correct you ... you cannot "see" anything without a Video card. On-board is classed as a video card. :)

Without the correct W2K video drivers for the onboard 3d ati rage pro you ain't gonna be able to do too much at all.

Good luck with that. :thumb:

Reaction score
thanks for the prompt replies chaps, i've just run belarc advisor to determine the mobo model and when scrolling through the info presented i noticed that under display it simply says none detected.... the board is a msi ms-6147 (i440bx) 1.x

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
moriati said:
thanks for the prompt replies chaps, i've just run belarc advisor to determine the mobo model and when scrolling through the info presented i noticed that under display it simply says none detected.... the board is a msi ms-6147 (i440bx) 1.x
I got good news :) & I got bad news :( ...

The good news is ... MSI still list that MB
nod.gif

The bad news is ... no drivers for the ATI :(

The good news is ... ATI have them. :D

The bad news is ... you have to find the right ones.
wallbash.gif

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894

as I said, good luck. :thumb:

Reaction score
damn it.... i conceded and installed xp on the machine, xp built the drivers needed for the display adapter and all is rosy,

Ask a Question