16 Bit Windows Subsystem Temp file missing?

While trying to install/upgrade some software/hardware the following error
message appears:

16 BIT WINDOWS SUBSYSTEM (on a blue background)

(the rest of the message is within the error message window)
C:\Documents and Settings\Me\Local Settings\Temp\
A temp file needed for initialization could not be created or could not be
written to.

Anyone know what's missing?
Thanks
Stephen
(e-mail address removed)

I have the exact same issue, but noone posted a response. This doesn't look
good.

Paul

Didn't work and why would it? Kelly's fix isn't a universal cure. If you
don't know, don't respond.

Sorry for being snippy with my previous post, spent all day on this and I'm
losing my mind....appreciate the help.

It's over, bought a new printer today and will live without 16-bit programs.
I recommend anyone else with this problem do the same.

Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Fix

"bud" wrote:

> "Paul" wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >I have the exact same issue, but noone posted a response. This doesn't
> >look
> > good.
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > "bigmac1x" wrote:
> >
> >> While trying to install/upgrade some software/hardware the following
> >> error
> >> message appears:
> >>
> >> 16 BIT WINDOWS SUBSYSTEM (on a blue background)
> >>
> >> (the rest of the message is within the error message window)
> >> C:\Documents and Settings\Me\Local Settings\Temp\
> >> A temp file needed for initialization could not be created or could not
> >> be
> >> written to.
> >>
> >> Anyone know what's missing?
> >> Thanks
> >> Stephen
> >> (e-mail address removed)
> >>

> read this,
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

Hi guys, after reading all over the internet and not finding a solutions i put my head down & bum up and did some research myself onto why it was happening. Using FileMon and RegMon from Winternals to watch what was going on when the program was run... alas all my research seemed in vain.

Then I read about how the NTVDM (Dos Virtual Machine) worked and did some testing with different compatability modes on the file... all this may make you ask "So? tell me the fix!"

well here is what worked for me installing IDSMAIL32 (32bit ?,haha...yeahhh about that...)

Create a batch file in the same folder as the software/installer you want to run, for me this was setup.exe.
(Easiest way to accomplish this is to goto start -> run -> Notepad, type in setup.exe and goto file -> save as and save the document as runme.bat or something similar in the folder where your installation files exist).

Copy c:\windows\_default.pif into the folder where you saved your batch file, rename the _default.pif to the same name as your batch file (but with a .pif extension), then right click it and goto properties, make sure the path is the name of your batch file (including .bat) and then goto Memory, set all switches to auto and click ok, then double click on the .pif file to launch your setup.

This worked for me on six computers so far with testing, so im confident it is the fix (at least for idsmail32)

I hope this is helpfull for others.

EDIT: I have found a second (better?) solution to this as well, i replaced setup.exe with a 32bit version from another installation application and this worked without any fancy changes to anything.

I can email this file to you at your request it is very tiny (33kb zip) and will organize it on my putfile when i have some time or someone else can post it if they request it from me - my email is adam_rickards at hotmail.com

Last edited: