Bargain 12x DVD-RW Rewriter £14.99 inc vat New!!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Reaction score
you have to say that is very cheap
n its including delivery

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole....

They sell those in pcworld around £35.00 so in this case it is a bargain, but i still wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole...:D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
psd99 said:
you have to say that is very cheap
n its including delivery

Ermmm There is a flat rate shipping fee £5.00 and they offer to refund that if the shipping is delayed . I ordered one and a BT modem with two filters (£9.99) if I remember right . Seemed worth a go . I'll let you know how I get on . Now how do I update firmware hmmmmmmmmm :confused:

Reaction score
lol
nice one

please do let me know how the dvd rw is!

i might get one if your is a good one

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
psd99 said:
lol
nice one

please do let me know how the dvd rw is!

i might get one if your is a good one

Heres your update .
There was a problem with the couriers , well it is City Link . The suppliers UKDVDR Ltd have told me that they will be refunding my postage costs .

Took the drive out of the box and wired it up . No upgrading of firmware . Just plug and play.

Tested the drive with

Shop bought music CD ... played ok

Shop bought DVD movie ...... played ok

Home made music CD ....... played ok

Home made DVD movie ...played ok

Wrote files to CD RW ..... wrote ok ... tested some of the filesat random and tested WinRAR files with the WinRAR utiities ... all ok

Wrote files to DVD RW ... result as above

Read 2 hours of avi. files to hard drive and used Nero to burn to disc DVD-R and the picture quality and playback were great .

This is a realy quiet drive , whilst burning I could hear my zallman cooler but not the DVD drive .

Its slower at reading and writing than my LietOn 1693 . It cost half as much as the LiteOn .

Will it be reliable in the long term . I'm not god and can't see into the future .

:thumb: :D

That burger CD case , its all soft and cuddly , I'm tempted to keep it . After all what would a 14 year old want one for much too childish . Yup I'd better keep it . :nod: :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
id be interesting in buying that

but i do fear the delivery charge

and how the heck u meanta updrade the firmware on a dvdrw!!?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
:rolleyes: Did ya read my posts .

My order came to £89 ..........shipping was the standard £5.95...........City Link cocked up delivery(nothing new there then)........... I'm getting a refund of £5.95 for the shipping .

The drives they sent me were plug and play ..........did not need to update firmware(what the hecks firmware nevermind updating it )......... drives worked fine.

If your worried about the shipping cost you could always pick items up in person from their premises in Edinburgh :nod: youd save a whole £5.95 wich you could spend on touristy things in that luverly city :D :cool:

Seriously though I've bought 4 , 2 for a friend , 1 for my sisters pc and one as a spare for meself . I've tested all of them (see earlier post) . I bought DVD blanks, a BT modem + filters etc so I thought the shipping was dead cheap specialy as I'm getting a refund . Time will tell as to how long they will last.

Reaction score
lol no chance of goin up there
bit too far for me

i was looking at their location and was gutted ithey are in scotland

i think ill get the drive
if i cant find it cheaper

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
The drives they sent me were plug and play ..........did not need to update firmware(what the hecks firmware nevermind updating it )

The term "firmware" was originally coined to indicate a functional replacement for hardware on low cost microprocessors...

Note that firmware for many devices can now be updated without the need for additional hardware, often through the use of vendor-provided software...

In practical terms, firmware updates can improve the performance and reliability, indeed even the basic available functionality of a device, and many devices benefit from regular firmware updates. One of the most common devices to have regular firmware updates are recording devices such as optical media writers (DVD, CD drives), as media technologies extend, so firmware updates ensure hardware is kept up to date and compatible....

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for that crazylegs .

I went to ultima.com,

http://info.ultima.com.tw/fae/Servi...irmware.asp.htm

and followed there easy to use "how to find out what firmware" guide and it turns out the drives I have have the latest firmware revision " 100d " . Whoopee no fiddling and faffing needed .

If I keep on gaining knowledge at this rate I'll be a pc wizard in just a few more clicks :lol:

Ask a Question