127g of 300g Hard Drive Prob

Reaction score
Hi my son installed a 300g hard drive in our gaming PC but forgot to mention that the computer is only recognising 127g.I don't have much idea but been into Bios and it says there is a 300g hard drive but when I go to my computer it only sees 127g and says my hard drive is full,my son the whizz has left home and left me to it,any help please.OS XP

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
do you know the exact specs of the system ? have you formatted the drive and got data on it ?, XP should recognise the drive correctly if its showing up in the BIOS, format the drive again under the following

start> control panel> admin tools> computer management> disk manger at the side

first get any data off it thats important, right click the drive and click delete partition, then format it with a new partition

Reaction score
not usre of ex spec is there somewhere on PC I could find it,far as I know its been formatted and has got 127 gigs of games and stuff on it

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
is windows up to date ? do you have SP2 ? run windows up date

Reaction score
No the PC is stand alone not connected to internet just use it for gaming and music its just got the bare bones,just got DVD drive no floppy

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.

Then click double click storage, then disk management. There should be a reading of your hard drives there - does it show lots of "empty" partition space on the 300GB drive?

Reaction score
Hmmm, is the drive listed in my computer, and does its properties show 300GB. You should see two hard drives.

Maybe not the same situation in this case, I had an older system running windows 98se, and I had a 80GB hard drive. For some reason the computer always said 5GB, though it let me store like 60+ gigs on it.

But as you stated eariler, the drive is full and you cannot write over it....have you tried formating it??? Use a low level formatting program to 0 it out. That may help, as Ian said, it may be an error in partioning and their might be wright protection still embedded.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i've been searching and some people have been having problems with drives only going to 137GB, if you dont have SP2 then that should sort it

Reaction score
Raje said:
Hmmm, is the drive listed in my computer, and does its properties show 300GB. You should see two hard drives.

Maybe not the same situation in this case, I had an older system running windows 98se, and I had a 80GB hard drive. For some reason the computer always said 5GB, though it let me store like 60+ gigs on it.

But as you stated eariler, the drive is full and you cannot write over it....have you tried formating it??? Use a low level formatting program to 0 it out. That may help, as Ian said, it may be an error in partioning and their might be wright protection still embedded.

No there is only 1 hard drive and properties say 127g

Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
i've been searching and some people have been having problems with drives only going to 137GB, if you dont have SP2 then that should sort it

yes i got myself a 160gb harrdrive its a seagate
when i had xp1
it would only come up as 137gb
but then when i installed xp2 i got my 20gb aswell!

but i found that this was only the case with seagate
i installed perfectly a 160gb western digital on xp1 a long time ago!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just come to this thread.

XP does need at least SP1 to recognise bigger hard drives.

Glad to see SP2 sorted it.

Reaction score
Yes it has given me 2 partitions on my hard drive a 127g and a 151g but still missing 12g
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB Hard Drive
(SATA, 7200 RPM, 16MB - SKU: 6B300S0)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
XP steals some hard drive space for recovery purposes, plus you lose a bit during format and i believe norton if you have it steals some aswell

Last edited:
Reaction score
the bigger harrdrive one has
the more space lost!

this really makes me angry!

Ask a Question