Windows XP 0x800ccc90 error

Reaction score
I expect this may be an old chestnut but I am unable to sort out the problem
I have used outlook express latest version for some time but from the beginning of this month I cannot receive incoming mail. i can sent mail out.
I get the following message when I try to access mail.

"The server responded with an error. Account: 'pop.freeserve.com', Server: 'localhost', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90"

I've tried looking at the help pages but to no avail can anyone suggest what I need to do

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I've seen this before and it relates to AVG, which I assume you have on your system. One answer is to uninstall AVG and then reinstall it. It seems to work for some people.

Best of luck.:nod:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Did you try emailing yourself (just to see if you can receive) after uninstalling but BEFORE reinstalling AVG?

This will determine whether AVG is responsible for the problem.

Reaction score
yes I tried that it appeared on my orange website but not on output express sorry to be such a pain dont seem to be getting anywhere but I think you may be right it only seems to have occurred since i upgraded to 8 from 7.5

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
The only other outside chance that I've seen for this is to change the Incoming Port from 110 to 995. Once again, it works for some but not all.

Failing that, have you tried Googling it or have you tried putting up a post on Bleeping Computer

Reaction score
happy solution

kingdon106.fslife said:
I expect this may be an old chestnut but I am unable to sort out the problem
I have used outlook express latest version for some time but from the beginning of this month I cannot receive incoming mail. i can sent mail out.
I get the following message when I try to access mail.

"The server responded with an error. Account: 'pop.freeserve.com', Server: 'localhost', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90"

I've tried looking at the help pages but to no avail can anyone suggest what I need to do
I had the same error.Thanks to the website http://www.hostmysite.com/support/email/not-sending/ I've found something that works. here it is
Goo to Oultook Express,Tools, Accounts, properties. In the top menu, click on Servers; at the bottom click the square by "My server requires authentication" (you don't need to do the settings because they are the same as your incoming mail - that's what it says if you do click on settings!
That was such a relief to see my message go through that I'm delighted to share this!
Best regards, Misha

Ask a Question