Windows XP 0x0000008e Bsod

Reaction score
I have a Compaq 2110US laptop running XP Home SP2 that I upgraded from 512M to 1G of memory. It worked fine for 2 weeks. When I tried to install the MS automatic update, KB922582, it started going to a BSOD with the error code of 0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0XF0A1F928, 0XEFF1EA20, 0X00000000). The second and third sub-codes are always different except for the 928 and A20. The message is "Beginning dump of physical memory. Physical memory dump complete."

It will boot fine in Safe Mode and not crash. I've tried disabling startup, services and win.ini with msconfig, but it still crashes.

I re-installed the original 512M memory and it still does the same thing, so I'm pretty sure it is not a memory issue. I've searched the web until I'm blue for the BSOD of 0X0000008E, but have not found anything with the 928 and A20. I have also re-loaded XP Home and SP2, and it still does it. I'm trying to not use my restore disk which will re-format my drive and I will loose all my apps and data.

Any idea what is causing this?

Reaction score
Take the memory out and try again, If it works then you know for certain you have a faulty stick !

Not up on error codes but i'm sure someone else will be along later today to give you a hand. Aint timezones a B*tch ;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You basically have three possible causes of the error ... though I wouldn't rule out others such as failing hardware.

Bad or corrupted Windows file
Bad or corrupted Driver
Bad memory

The fact that it start & runs in safe mode would lead me to be looking to update any and all drivers and or corrupted Windows files

Could you post the entire BSOD

user.gif

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
Take the memory out and try again, If it works then you know for certain you have a faulty stick !

Not up on error codes but i'm sure someone else will be along later today to give you a hand. Aint timezones a B*tch ;)

I've tried every possible combination of the 4 memory sticks I have and it still crashes. Since it doesn't crash in safe mode, I think it is something other than hardware. Originally, it had two 128M sticks. It crashes with both of the original 128M, one of the 128M, both of the 512M, one of the 512M and none. Takes forever to load with none.

The entire BSOD if to long to post here, but it is the basic message.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error scree, blah, blah, blah....

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified(none identified)check for updates.

Check for bios updates....

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0XF0A1F928, 0XEFF1EA20, 0X00000000)

"Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete."
Contact your system admin or tech support group for further assistance."

There was a time when I disabled Windows Defender in the services tab and it didn't crash. I turned it back on and it did. I again turned it off and it still crashed.

Like I said before, it all started when I installed the Windows Automatic Update of KB922582. It never installed it at first, and when I got 4 more updates, I installed them one-by-one and it was fine until I installed KB922582. I think it finally did install and now crashes everytime I boot in regular mode. I do not have any restore point that work. They all say restore cannot go back to that point.

I re-installed XP Home and had to talk to India for a new key-code. For some reason, it didn't like or MS would not let me use the one that came with the disk. It took forever to DL SP2 running on SP1. It acted like SP1 had a slow communications connection. It again worked fine until I installed that update. I'd call MS Support, but they would probably want to charge me for support, even if it is their fault.

Reaction score
Update: I have the file KB922582 on my desktop. When in Safe Mode, if I click on it, it immediately goes to the BSOD with the same error code posted above. There is something wrong with that file my laptop doesn't like. If I could get rid of it, and never use Defender, I should be good to go. I did remove Defender through the Control Panel, but it still shows up in msconfig under services as Windows Defender Service, manufacturer unknown.

I deleted all references of Windows Defender in the registery that it would let me.

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
I have the exact same problem on my Dell Optiplex 170L running WinXP Pro SP2. Out of 14 security updates, all installed fine when installed one by one except for KB922582, BSOD. Also, I downloaded the new Internet Explorer 7 and tried to install it and got the same BSOD. Help!!

Reaction score
I found a way to un-install SP2 and am now re-installing what MS automatic update thinks I need. The process takes a long time, but may work.

I tried un-installing each update one-by-one and it didn't fix our problem, so I "removed" SP2 per the instructions at the below link.

http://support.microsoft.com/KB/875350

Try going to this link and do what it says. It takes some time to un-install SP2, and even longer to install what MS thinks you need. Not sure if this will cure it, but I am turning off "Auto Update" if I can get my laptop working the way it was before KB922582.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, according to Microsoft, I can't remove Service Pack 2 separately because it was integrated into the Windows installation rather than installed separately. This all started not long after I got the computer from a friend and did a complete clean install of everything to return it to it's factory setup. It worked great for about 2 weeks and then somehow I got a virus called Banwarum. After removing it, my computer would boot up, run for about 2 minutes then go to the BSOD. So I put in my Windows disc and had it do a repair installation. Since then, it works great for the most part as long as I don't try to install KB922582, Internet Explorer 7, or Microsoft Malicious Removal Tool. There may be conflicts with other things but that is all I have ran into so far. Anyone have any other ideas?

Reaction score
After MS installed SP2, when I shut it down, it installed 47 other updates and again started going to the BSOD. Luckily, I had saved a restore point and after I restored it, and turned off Auto updates, it has been working fine. I sure wish MS would address this problem. My laptop has an AMD 1.6G cpu.

Reaction score
dsloan5150 said:
Unfortunately, according to Microsoft, I can't remove Service Pack 2 separately because it was integrated into the Windows installation rather than installed separately. This all started not long after I got the computer from a friend and did a complete clean install of everything to return it to it's factory setup. It worked great for about 2 weeks and then somehow I got a virus called Banwarum. After removing it, my computer would boot up, run for about 2 minutes then go to the BSOD. So I put in my Windows disc and had it do a repair installation. Since then, it works great for the most part as long as I don't try to install KB922582, Internet Explorer 7, or Microsoft Malicious Removal Tool. There may be conflicts with other things but that is all I have ran into so far. Anyone have any other ideas?
After "removing" Banwarum, http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Banwarum.&btnG=Search&meta== did you ever post a HJT log to make sure you were completly clean?

Ask a Question