Bargain ACER 17" TFT for £146.86

Reaction score
ACER 17" TFT £146.86 at Misco

bd34dc74-97a7-4590-afa1-52384174f52c_CTEN_200x200.jpg

ACER AL1715MS 17 LCD MM Silver/Black 12ms TCO99 150o 270cd/m2 4 450:1

Upgrade your PC system with the AL1715ms, a reliable solution to render the ergonomical benefits of LCD technology. The slim and compact silver design liberates the workplace transforming the computing area into a modern work or entertainment area. The AL1715ms is the ideal solution for the home or office PC users requiring a smart interface with rapid response time for the best in digital playback and digital movies.

£124.99 ex VAT (£146.86 inc VAT)

Go through a cashback site and get more off. These guys will give you 2.5% cashback on Misco purchases: www.rpoints.com/enquiry (Misco now apparently incorporates Simply Computers).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for this bargain! I use rpoints for cashback, and they are pretty good.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
So as to get around the new European law/TAX, and keep cost down. ;)

:thumb:
Oh, do elaborate :) I'm either daft or missed this bit :blush:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The classification of LCD monitors with a DVI-input has been the subject of heavy discussion in the European Union (EU). This article provides an update on the situation, which has been addressed in previous Global Trade Practice Group newsletters.

LCD monitors were zero-rated in the past, but, as a result of the so-called "Plasma Regulation" (Regulation EC) 754/2004, various EU customs authorities, including the Dutch customs authorities, imposed a 14% duty on the import of LCD monitors with DVI-input as of May 2004.

The European Commission (EC) repeatedly stated that all Member States should apply the 14% customs duty rate on the import of monitors; however, some Member States, such as Germany, still allowed imports against a 0% duty. As a result of this approach, the import of LCD monitors into the Netherlands rapidly decreased while the import of the LCD monitors into Germany showed a similar increase. Importers and logistic services providers in the Netherlands suffered great losses due to the difference in duty rates.

In the Netherlands, the Secretary of State of the Ministry of Finance decided that the Dutch Customs authorities are no longer obliged to levy a 14% customs duty rate on the import of LCD monitors with DVI-input and that the 0% customs duty rate can be applied again. On November 29, 2004, Dutch Customs further specified which LCD monitors will benefit from the 0% duty rate in the Netherlands.

LCD monitors can be classified as 84.71 'computer monitors' to which the 0% duty rate applies, if:

the monitors are equal to- or smaller than 20 inch (ratio approximately 4:3);

the monitors are equipped with no other connection than VGA and/or DVI, although audio connection is allowed;

no remote control functions and no remote control are available;

no provisions are in place to use the monitor as a TV or video monitor after importation (i.e. 'slot-in');

no provisions are in place for channel selection;

the monitor supports VESA standards;

the monitor can be adjusted/turned.

Also applying to the 84.71 (zero rate) classification:

monitors should not support the HDCP standard; and

monitors should be presented in brochures as computer monitor and not a TV.

http://www.gtlaw.com/practices/intl_trade/newsletter/GT_200412.pdf

;)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting this monitor, then i read the model number on the site "AL1715ms", which seems to be stating 15ms response :s. I thought that was just a coincidence with the model number or something, but the ms is in lower case where as the AL is in upper. If ya get me lingo :/ .

Reaction score
The larger Tesco superstores are stocking the Acer AL1714SM (8ms refresh rate) for £149.94. The advantage to buying at Tesco is their 28 day return policy - any dead pixcels, just whop it back and get another, no questions asked.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
samsdad said:
The larger Tesco superstores are stocking the Acer AL1714SM (8ms refresh rate) for £149.94. The advantage to buying at Tesco is their 28 day return policy - any dead pixcels, just whop it back and get another, no questions asked.

I've had one off these for a while now and its pretty good for the money..:thumb:

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
I've had one off these for a while now and its pretty good for the money..:thumb:

same here

i got it for £149 about 6 months ago!

well impressed so far so good!

Reaction score
I paid i think £280 for my LG L1730P - with DVI and Pivot (12Ms) over a year ago.

It had a dead pixel and the great thing was, 14 months after i bought it i decided to call up the warranty people, they swapped it for a new one the next day... i told them it went blurry they said OK, new one on its way!

New one has no dead pixels. Great service

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thats good service Chris - I think I'm right in saying that LG have a 3 year warranty which is pretty good:thumb:

Reaction score
Went into my local Tesco today (Swindon); they've reduced the Acer 17" TFT on a clearance to £124! Bargain - just wish I had waited.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
samsdad said:
Went into my local Tesco today (Swindon); they've reduced the Acer 17" TFT on a clearance to £124! Bargain - just wish I had waited.
Saw it yesterday at my Tesco in Croydon and it was still £149 :(