connection problems Comcast cable modem-help

G

I keep getting knocked off my cable connection with Comcast. My wife, son, and I are networked with wireless modems. My wife's connection never gets knocked off but I always lose connection about every 2-3 minutes. The message at the bottom task bar states one or more wireles connections are available (there is only one).I click on the connect and I am reconnected in 20 seconds or so. Comcast tech support says they have major issues with anyone with XP. They claim that XP automatically checks for cable connectivity, but to do that they temproarily disconnect you but XP is set up so it should reconnect but it does not. Does anyone know how I can turn off that XP function, so that it does not keep knocking me off? I have been knocked off times just writing this question. Help please.

V

Vagabond Software

Walts said:
I keep getting knocked off my cable connection with Comcast. My wife, son, and I are networked with wireless modems. My wife's connection never gets knocked off but I always lose connection about every 2-3 minutes. The message at the bottom task bar states one or more wireles connections are available (there is only one).I click on the connect and I am reconnected in 20 seconds or so. Comcast tech support says they have major issues with anyone with XP. They claim that XP automatically checks for cable connectivity, but to do that they temproarily disconnect you but XP is set up so it should reconnect but it does not. Does anyone know how I can turn off that XP function, so that it does not keep knocking me off? I have been knocked off times just writing this question. Help please.
----------------

First, what is the make and model of your router? Have you configured it to issue enough DHCP addresses (if you're using DHCP)? Are you using WEP?

It's interesting that Comcast says they have those problems because I installed a Windows XP system for Comcast user last weekend, including a wireless connection for his wife's machine, and there were no such problems. I have Windows XP on Time Warner's Road Runner service and have no such problems.

- carl

G

Thank you for the response. I have a LINKSYS WCG200-CC wireless modem router (supplied by Comcast) and LINKSYS PCI wirless-B cards (supplied by Comcast). I am on WEP not DHCP. I did not have a problem for a few weeks but now it is constant, never connected for more than 4-5 minutes

----- Vagabond Software wrote: ----

Walts said:
I keep getting knocked off my cable connection with Comcast. My wife, son, and I are networked with wireless modems. My wife's connection never gets knocked off but I always lose connection about every 2-3 minutes. The message at the bottom task bar states one or more wireles connections are available (there is only one).I click on the connect and I am reconnected in 20 seconds or so. Comcast tech support says they have major issues with anyone with XP. They claim that XP automatically checks for cable connectivity, but to do that they temproarily disconnect you but XP is set up so it should reconnect but it does not. Does anyone know how I can turn off that XP function, so that it does not keep knocking me off? I have been knocked off times just writing this question. Help please
---------------

First, what is the make and model of your router? Have you configured it to issue enough DHCP addresses (if you're using DHCP)? Are you using WEP

It's interesting that Comcast says they have those problems because I installed a Windows XP system for Comcast user last weekend, including a wireless connection for his wife's machine, and there were no such problems. I have Windows XP on Time Warner's Road Runner service and have no such problems

- car

T

ticked

Why cannot you people write in normal paragraphs instead
of long lines where one has to scroll back and forth to
read your post? Please take a class in grammer 101~~~~~
-----Original Message-----
"Walts" <[email protected]> wrote in
message (e-mail address removed)...Comcast. My wife, son, and I are networked with wireless
modems. My wife's connection never gets knocked off but I
always lose connection about every 2-3 minutes. The
message at the bottom task bar states one or more wireles
connections are available (there is only one).I click on
the connect and I am reconnected in 20 seconds or so.
Comcast tech support says they have major issues with
anyone with XP. They claim that XP automatically checks
for cable connectivity, but to do that they temproarily
disconnect you but XP is set up so it should reconnect
but it does not. Does anyone know how I can turn off that
XP function, so that it does not keep knocking me off? I
have been knocked off times just writing this question.
Help please.you configured it to issue enough DHCP addresses (if
you're using DHCP)? Are you using WEP?
It's interesting that Comcast says they have those
problems because I installed a Windows XP system for
Comcast user last weekend, including a wireless
connection for his wife's machine, and there were no such
problems. I have Windows XP on Time Warner's Road Runner
service and have no such problems.

V

Vagabond Software

ticked said:
Why cannot you people write in normal paragraphs instead
of long lines where one has to scroll back and forth to
read your post? Please take a class in grammer 101~~~~~

Just as soon as you finish spelling 101...

V

Vagabond Software

WaltS said:
Thank you for the response. I have a LINKSYS WCG200-CC wireless modem router (supplied by Comcast) and LINKSYS PCI wirless-B cards (supplied by Comcast). I am on WEP not DHCP. I did not have a problem for a few weeks but now it is constant, never connected for more than 4-5 minutes.

I believe Comcast has altered that router with their own firmware that limits the number of IP addresses it issues through DHCP.

Open a command prompt and use the 'ipconfig /all' command. Run the command while everything is working fine and again when you are disconnected. Post the results back here if you can.

- carl

G

Walts said:

Ask a Question