Bargain dual layer dvd burner under £20!!!

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
It looks a good price, but personally I don't like Philips - I would rather pay about £10 more and get an LG or NEC.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Philips actually make very good products, they're vastly underrated in the Uk.

Their Hi-Fi is really very good. European company too.

I'd go for it, might even get one myself to replace my beige Pioneer 106 which is in an otherwise black setup.

My favourite brands for optical drives are NEC & Pioneer. Or Plextor if I'm loaded ;)

I've commented before about LG, have seen lots of their products break down, but I think they've improved now.

Reaction score
cheap as chips

Well that is cheap, things seem to be coming down in price, does this mean theirs new technology on the way regarding dvd bruners or are the manufactures being nice to the consumer for once?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I agree with you on the Hi-Fi and also DVD players - just had a bad experience with a Philips DVD-RW a while back thats all.

I know it can happen to any make really, but I went over to NEC and LG and had no problems.

Reaction score
Please Note: This item is sold as a bare drive. No cables, installation screws or software are included.

Does this matter?

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
stuartw101 said:
Please Note: This item is sold as a bare drive. No cables, installation screws or software are included.

Does this matter?

nope if you builld systems you normally have those parts lying around anyways. you can get the screws for around 50p and the ide cable for under a quid so it wont set you back too much:D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
stuartw101 said:

Does this matter?
Nope! it don't matter ... they usually just say OEM, you may even get it in a brown box. ;)

Does this mean that we are going to see the next generation drives appearing soon. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've just ordered one, was thinking about buying one anyway. Should arrive Monday I suppose, I'll let you know how I get on with it.

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I've just ordered one, was thinking about buying one anyway. Should arrive Monday I suppose, I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Might arrive sat if ur lucky delivery with these guys is very fast ive used them for blank cds before and i now wont use anybody else they are that good! also i signe up for the newsletter and they have some good offers every now and then:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
With postage, it worked out to around £25.00, which isn't that much less than if you bought one from PC World (order online, collect from store).

But - I ordered some CD-R's and a bunch of CD & DVD cases with it, so that made it worthwhile.

Still a good price though, like I said, I'll let you all know how it performs :)

Reaction score
I actually saw it a few days ago cos I buy all my blanks and cases from them.

I wondered if you lot would have been interested but something else cropped up so I never got round to advertising it here.

Oh well ;)

For those who aint shpped with them. They do deals for member sometimes offering postage for £1

Ask a Question