    via an alternative method?

    Thanks,
    Brad

    Brad, Sep 15, 2009

  2. Re: Access 2007 Runtime - Security & Trusted Locations

    Here's some code that MVP Graham Mandeno wrote to create a Trusted Location:

    Public Function CreateTrustedLocation( _
    Key As String, _
    Path As String, _
    Optional AllowSubfolders As Boolean, _
    Optional Description As String, _
    Optional Version As Integer = 12) As Boolean

    Const cProcName = "CreateTrustedLocation"

    Dim reg As New Registry, hk As Long
    On Error GoTo ProcErr
    With reg
    hk = .OpenKey(HKEY_CURRENT_USER, _
    "Software\Microsoft\Office\" & Version _
    & ".0\Access\Security\Trusted Locations\" & Key, True)
    .SetValue hk, "", "Path", Path

    ' Also try: .SetValue hk + 1, "", "Path", Path

    .SetValue hk, "", "AllowSubfolders", IIf(AllowSubfolders, 1, 0)
    .SetValue hk, "", "Description", Description
    .CloseKey hk
    End With
    CreateTrustedLocation = True

    ProcEnd:
    On Error Resume Next
    If hk <> 0 Then reg.CloseKey hk
    Set reg = Nothing
    Exit Function

    ProcErr:
    mb_Error cProcName
    Resume ProcEnd
    End Function
    --
    Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
    http://www.datastrat.com

    Arvin Meyer [MVP], Sep 15, 2009

  3. Brad

    Brad Guest

    Re: Access 2007 Runtime - Security & Trusted Locations

    Arvin,

    Thanks for the assistance, I appreciate it.

    I have come from the IBM mainframe world to the realm of Windows, so the
    Registry is still somewhat of a mysterious animal to me. I plan to dig into
    it as I have never needed to add an entry to it until now.

    Do you know where I could find an example of VBA code that calls Graham
    Mandeno’s function. I am not 100% clear about the fields that are being
    passed to it. Because of my lack of experience with the Registry, I am a bit
    gun-shy to experiment without fully knowing what I am doing.

    Thanks again

    Brad

    Brad, Sep 15, 2009
  4. Re: Access 2007 Runtime - Security & Trusted Locations

    Hi Brad

    I think that code has been lifted out of context from somewhere, because it
    calls a class module "Registry" that is obviously not included.

    Basically, the concept is quite simple. You create a new key at the
    following location:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Access\Security\Trusted
    Locations

    (that line probably wrapped, but it's all one registry key path)

    The name of the key can be anything, so it might as well be the name of the
    app.

    The values under the key are:
    - Date : haven't figured out the use for this (optional)

    The code that Arvin posted will create such a key, provided it includes the
    Registry class module. The problem is that to put it in the database which
    you want to trust is a sort of a Catch-22, because in order to execute the
    code, you first have to create the trusted location.

    Because of this, the code is rather useless, unless you are creating trusted
    locations for other databases.

    What I do is create this registry key in my install script. Any install
    script worth its salt (I use Inno Setup) can create registry keys as part of
    the installation.

    It would also be very easy to create a small .REG file to create the
    required key. Something like this:

    ========== start REG file ==============
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Access\Security\Trusted
    Locations\MyApp]
    "Path"="C:\\MyApp"
    "AllowSubfolders"=dword:00000001
    "Description"="My trusted location"
    ========== end REG file ==============

    Note that the part in the square brackets [HKEY...MyApp] should be all one
    line. Just change "MyApp" to the name of your application, and change the
    path and description (any \ in the path needs to be \\) and paste into a
    textfile named TrustedLocation.reg.

    --
    Good Luck :)

    Graham Mandeno [Access MVP]
    Auckland, New Zealand

    Graham Mandeno, Sep 16, 2009
  5. Re: Access 2007 Runtime - Security & Trusted Locations

    "Graham Mandeno" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Brad
    >
    > I think that code has been lifted out of context from somewhere, because
    > it calls a class module "Registry" that is obviously not included.

    Hmm. I had to have lifted it from something you wrote, or I wouldn't have
    known to whom to attribute it. I know I haven't used it, but since you
    always write great code (yes, I have several other snippets) I never thought
    to question it. So where's the class module?
    --
    Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
    http://www.datastrat.com

    Arvin Meyer [MVP], Sep 16, 2009
  6. Brad

    Brad Guest

    Re: Access 2007 Runtime - Security & Trusted Locations

    Graham,

    Thanks for your assistance. I really appreciate your thorough explanation.
    I started to experiment with the registry on my PC at home last night. It
    doesn’t look so mysterious now that I have dug into it a bit.

    Thanks again,

    Brad

    Brad, Sep 16, 2009
  7. Re: Access 2007 Runtime - Security & Trusted Locations

    Hi Arvin

    Yes, it certainly is my code. I think I posted it in a discussion in the
    private NG a year or so back with the caveat (probably implied <g>) that it
    had dependencies.

    I figured an audience of our MVP colleagues would understand what the
    methods OpenKey, SetValue and CloseKey were doing.

    I could post the class module, but it, too, has dependencies to common error
    handling code and such-like. I'll see if I can clean it up and make it
    stand-alone for you to publish on the Access Web.

    There are heaps of examples on the web of reading and writing registry data
    from VB(A). The OP can just google "declare function regsetvalueex".

    Cheers,
    Graham

    Graham Mandeno, Sep 16, 2009
  8. Re: Access 2007 Runtime - Security & Trusted Locations

    > I could post the class module, but it, too, has dependencies to common
    > error handling code and such-like. I'll see if I can clean it up and make
    > it stand-alone for you to publish on the Access Web.

    It would be a most welcome addition.
    --
    Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
    http://www.datastrat.com

    Arvin Meyer [MVP], Sep 17, 2009
  9. Re: Access 2007 Runtime - Security & Trusted Locations

    More than 12 years ago. I went to classes to achieve the MCSE certification.
    The instructor's words still ring in my mind:

    "The registry is a place where only fools and gurus go"

    I've never thought of myself as a guru <g>, but I am comfortable in the
    registry. Those words still inhibit me from making suggestions to others
    that they dink around in the registry. If you are comfortable, go for it, it
    really isn't all that hard. After all, if the word happens, you just need to
    reinstall everything. A pain to be sure, but not the end of the world.
    --
    Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
    http://www.datastrat.com

    Arvin Meyer [MVP], Sep 17, 2009
  10. Re: Access 2007 Runtime - Security & Trusted Locations

    "Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <> wrote in

    > More than 12 years ago. I went to classes to achieve the MCSE
    > certification. The instructor's words still ring in my mind:
    >
    > "The registry is a place where only fools and gurus go"
    >
    > I've never thought of myself as a guru <g>, but I am comfortable
    > in the registry. Those words still inhibit me from making
    > suggestions to others that they dink around in the registry. If
    > you are comfortable, go for it, it really isn't all that hard.
    > After all, if the word happens, you just need to reinstall
    > everything. A pain to be sure, but not the end of the world.

    Back in the days of Win95, when most of us first really got our feet
    wet with the system registry (I'd already encountered it in Win3.x
    running Office, which was highly dependent on the system registry,
    since it was already all COM, though it was called OLE back then),
    and back then, it really did seem to be pretty fragile.

    Since then, it's gotten much better.

    I once accidentally deleted the entire Windows registry key on a
    client's PC. The machine actually booted to the GUI, though almost
    nothing worked properly. I was able to run system setup again and
    fix it (and the machine ran blazingly fast after that!), but it did
    tell me something about the robustness of Win9x and the registry.

    These days, I edit the registry all the time and almost never make
    any backups. It's really easy to backup a registry before
    editing/deleting it, so I should to that all the time, but almost
    never do.

    On a client's machine that would install but not run Google Desktop
    (I would never recommend it, but the client had come to depend on
    it), I recently cleaned out all references to Google applications
    from the registry (after running all uninstallers and deleting all
    program folders related to Google apps). It was tedious, using
    Ctrl-F to find all instances of "google" in the registry and
    deciding which ones to delete and which ones not, but it did the
    job.

    A few months ago I had to do a major registry edit with a client's
    QuickBooks installation. Using FIND, I edited something like a
    thousand registry keys by hand (I had no Internet connection and
    lacked my usual registry search/replace tools). I assumed I would
    have made some mistakes, but the client never reported a single
    error (and this wasn't just deleting keys, but editing a path that
    had been input wrong and couldn't be gotten rid of because of the
    awful way in which QB uses the registry to store app paths).

    Like you, I don't recommend it to anyone else, but I feel perfectly
    comfortable making the edits, precisely because I've been doing it
    for so long without killing any PCs.

    So far...

    --
    David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/