XP won't let me delete a file

J

Jason

I downloaded a driver for a 3com nic card (from 3com) the other day, to do some work on another machine. Am finished with the file, which is on my desktop, and went to delete it. XP responds that it cannot delete the file because it is in use by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using it and try again. Well, this occurs, after a fresh reboot, and I even tried to do it in safe mode and get the same error. I'm 99.9% sure I don't have any virus'. I found one reference to the file in the registry, and removed that, rebooted, and still no go. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do so I can delete the unneeded file. Can't rename it for the same reason, however, it does still run. Its a self extractor exe file from 3com... Thanks for any help!

Jason

J

jasonr@christech

This usually happens in Windows 2000 or XP when you are trying to delete a file the computer currently is running in the services list (aka in main memory). Try this CNTRL-ALT-DELETE click on service and look for a service running similar to the name of the file you are trying to delete or a service you do not recognize if you find it,right click it and click END TASK.now go and delete the file again.

If this still does not work.START----->RUN------>MSCONFIG
in the startup list look for the name of the file or what could be associated with the file you are trying to delete.If you find it and it is checked,UNCHECK IT.Now reboot!

Then try to delete again

Need any more help with this don't hesitate to send me a email.
Good Luck and Happy New Year! =)
--
Christech Company
"Quality computer repair on the go"!
http://www.christechcompany.com/

REMOVE NOSPAM FROM EMAIL IF
SENDING A EMAIL TO THIS ADDRESS
I downloaded a driver for a 3com nic card (from 3com) the other day, to do some work on another machine. Am finished with the file, which is on my desktop, and went to delete it. XP responds that it cannot delete the file because it is in use by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using it and try again. Well, this occurs, after a fresh reboot, and I even tried to do it in safe mode and get the same error. I'm 99.9% sure I don't have any virus'. I found one reference to the file in the registry, and removed that, rebooted, and still no go. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do so I can delete the unneeded file. Can't rename it for the same reason, however, it does still run. Its a self extractor exe file from 3com... Thanks for any help!

Jason

J

Jason

Thanks for the attempt to help. Unfortunatly, I've already been down those roads. I pretty competant in the computer field, but this ones got me a little baffled. As I said, I even booted into safe mode, and the only services running are what has to be. There is nothing out of the ordinary in the msconfig startup either. Any other suggestions? Any way to find out what program is using it supposedly. I downloaded the file on Thursday, did not run it on this machine (but my kids do use this machine too, so who knows). I dump most anything I download to my desktop to find it, so I was in the process of cleaning it up a bit, and could not delete this file. Thanks for your help, and anything further you can provide....

Jason

p.s. Sent you an email as well Jason...
This usually happens in Windows 2000 or XP when you are trying to delete a file the computer currently is running in the services list (aka in main memory). Try this CNTRL-ALT-DELETE click on service and look for a service running similar to the name of the file you are trying to delete or a service you do not recognize if you find it,right click it and click END TASK.now go and delete the file again.

If this still does not work.START----->RUN------>MSCONFIG
in the startup list look for the name of the file or what could be associated with the file you are trying to delete.If you find it and it is checked,UNCHECK IT.Now reboot!

Then try to delete again

Need any more help with this don't hesitate to send me a email.
Good Luck and Happy New Year! =)
--
Christech Company
"Quality computer repair on the go"!
http://www.christechcompany.com/

REMOVE NOSPAM FROM EMAIL IF
SENDING A EMAIL TO THIS ADDRESS

Jason

Ask a Question