xp reinstall ok? on top of itself without reloading programs?

G

I have a 3.06 ghz computer with 1 gig of dual sync ram and a terabyte of hd space, although boot drive is only 75 gig. it is slow sluggish and icons on desktop keep changing. Im running xp pro sith all the service packs available and the latest nortons found nothing!!!!now what? (side note runns even slower on using explorer, and cant right click to burn cd anymore want to know how to re-enable this too) no hard ware errors. device manager has no ? in it. Can I install xp ontop of itself without screwing all my programs? (98 used to be able to do this)

G

Hi. To answer your main question, yes you can reinstall xp over the existing install. However some settings may get changed but all your programs should remain intact. One thing i recomend for you to do is right click the drive in my computer go to properties and then the tools tab and check the drive for errors (full scan is prob not needed) and then run the defragment program. Also, some other obvious things is clear your browsers cache and delete unneeded files. Finally, go into control panel and the add/remove programs button. Go through the list and remove the programs you dont use or need and delete any ad programs ie. gator etc. Well there we go, oh ya and download the latest drivers for all your hardware, windows update will not always have the best drivers. i recomend going to the original manufacutres web site for the newest drivers. good luck!!!

G

Ship your computer to me, you don't deserve it

----- brian wrote: ----

I have a 3.06 ghz computer with 1 gig of dual sync ram and a terabyte of hd space, although boot drive is only 75 gig. it is slow sluggish and icons on desktop keep changing. Im running xp pro sith all the service packs available and the latest nortons found nothing!!!!now what? (side note runns even slower on using explorer, and cant right click to burn cd anymore want to know how to re-enable this too) no hard ware errors. device manager has no ? in it. Can I install xp ontop of itself without screwing all my programs? (98 used to be able to do this)

B

Bee

Unless cooling is very efficient with your kind of hardware lineup,
malfunction due to overheating is one possible cause.

Bee.
--
[I have found my Shangri-La in ntlworld.]

--
brian said:
I have a 3.06 ghz computer with 1 gig of dual sync ram and a terabyte of
hd space, although boot drive is only 75 gig. it is slow sluggish and icons
on desktop keep changing. Im running xp pro sith all the service packs
available and the latest nortons found nothing!!!!now what? (side note
runns even slower on using explorer, and cant right click to burn cd anymore
want to know how to re-enable this too) no hard ware errors. device manager
has no ? in it. Can I install xp ontop of itself without screwing all my
programs? (98 used to be able to do this)

Ask a Question