Would you pay for free patches ?

Reaction score
Earlier this afternoon, I was redirected by the Quake-3 game patches site to File Planet, where I was asked to create an account.
After doing so I thought I would be able to download the game patch, but no, I was again redirected to another page and this time it was to get me to subscribe to the file downloads service. This service is $59 a year.
What a rip off, paying to get what I thought were free patches etc. What do other forum members think of this ?

Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've downloaded a few things from there before, and I *think* if you scroll down the page a little bit where you choose the closest download server, there is an option do download from a free server - generally with a waiting time.

I understand the need for bandwidth to be paid for, as it is rather expensive - if someone were to download 1 gig from most hosts, it could cost them as much as $10. For a big company with its own servers, the bandwidth would much much, much less - but I do think "patches" should be included in the initial price you paid for the game - the publisher should fork out the hosting costs.

Reaction score
Fileplanet is the last site/service I would pay for on the internet. Not only is it astronomically expensive for what you get, but most of the stuff you can get for free elsewhere without a waiting line either.

There are some sites that I would pay for if I had a credit card, but definetly not Fileplanet.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ian's right, Ian (eh?) you don't have to pay anything to download patches from Fileplanet. Just scroll down a little further and you'll be offered a list of mirror sites to download from. Depending on the time of day, you'll probably have to queue, usually from 20 to 80 minutes.

And Eric is also correct, there are other sites offering the patches where there are no queues, I'll have to search and return here with their locations.

And no, I wouldn't pay for a games patch, publisher should have got it right in the first place.

Paying for Drivers though, there's a thought....

Ask a Question