Wireless Networking - Atlast!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I had been contemplating going wireless at home with broadband connection. After going through the choices available I finally decided to go for the Planet WL-8310 54/108 Mbps PCI card to be installed in my main desktop. With ad-hoc network configuration I should be able to hook it up to my IBM T41 laptop for browsing from anywhere in my home wirelessly.

Would be an interesting experiment over the weekend :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've got a wireless router, but I use a wired connection (crazy, I know ;)). Wireless is so handy when you have a laptop!

108Mbps should be more than fast enough :) Does the IBM T41 have a built in wireless card?

Reaction score
congratulations welcome to the world or wireless networking!!

u can now enoy the luxuries of:
sitting in your garden and checking your email
going around your house with your laptop knowing that u can access the internet!

good luck

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Ian,

Yes it WIFI capable and that is one of the reasons I was always wondering how I can utilise it since I got this in April. But the broadband was installed just last month and that is why I decided to take the plunge.

psd99,

Thanks that is the idea. :)

Reaction score
Or... Getting some time away from the kids (you do have kids, don't ya?) - and sitting on the loo, talking to us lot in the forum!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
KGB,

Time away from kids is not the real purpose since when I am away at work I am away from them so when I am home i prefer their company. They are no longer kids but more like young adults. My son is 14 and my daughter is 11. :D

Well I did install the card and trying to make it work but I am not sure if this is the right equipment since I just read somewhere that adhoc networking does not allow sharing of the internet

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
woah woah woah...

108mb/ps WIRELESS?!?!?!

Thats faster than my wires connection!!!!

NO NO NO

It aint working yet so do not get excited :D

Ask a Question