Windows XP Windows XP Pro Blue Screen Error Crash

Reaction score
Hi there I have e-mailed you because I have come across a problem with my computer. So cut a long story shirt I started to build my own pc in April last year. Slowly I brought my computer and have now spent around £900 as I could not afford to pay this sum all at once so I slowly added different components to my computer. Of course I have come across problems but this problem I have now is a bit difficult to solve, so I believe.

Well I will now explain my computer's specifications. I have an 1800xp Athlon AMD processor with a via vt8366/ kt-266 chipset. MY motherboard is I believe made by a company called Lexus and it is called 'bn790t.' (I brought this from a small computer firm) I have 2 Samsung 128SDram to make 256mb SDram. I have two hard drives one is an 80 Gb Maxtor Hard drive on which I have my operating system on (Windows XP Pro). The other hard rive is a 20GB Samsung hard drive, this hard drive I use to store my video songs on.

I have 5 pci slots and one 4X Agp slot four out of my 5 pci slots are occupied. The very top pci slot which I believe to be is the master is unoccupied there is no device in this slot. This is because my AGP slot is very close to this and my graphics card is very near to this pci slot. I have a Geforce 4 ti4200 pro 650/xp (64mb) graphics card. This is obviously in my Agp slot, as I have already mentioned I do not have a card in my so called 'pci master slot.' The second slot moving away from the agp slot is filled with my Digital Television card this is the wintv-nova pci card which receives digital television. The third slot down from the agp slot is my Ethernet card (Network Interface Card) which allows to connect to my older computer. I am not really sure what the model name is for this component. The forth slot down which is the second from the bottom is filled with my modem. My modem is an Intel modem standard 56k modem. The final slot which is the bottom slot is filled with of course my sound card. This is the SoundBlaster live card which allows the use of a 5.1 speaker system. Recently further to these components I have added a new power supply unit. This is the Enermax EG465-V series. And I also brought a wireless optical desktop set. This is a cordless keyboard and cordless mouse. Now that you have an idea of the components of my 'Home made computer' I hope you can help me out.

Now if my mind serves me correctly I think before installing these two components, that is the PSU and the Wireless desktop optical set I did not have this problem I am going to describe to you.

Basically what happens to me is that when I try to play a game such as GTA3 the game starts up normally and goes to the options menu, but when I select to actually START the game. It works for a little while perhaps for around 15 seconds then suddenly this blue screen appears. It appears and disappears so quickly that I am unable to actually read the message it displays. As soon as this message comes up my whole computer restarts and there is nothing I can do about this. I can briefly read is it is a blue screen that says something about updating drivers and hardware. I even tried to do a screen dump but when windows restart the screen dump wont work. This is a problem that I have tried to solve. I removed my graphics card and reinstalled it with the latest drivers. So I am pretty sure that it is not a problem with my graphics card. I ran a scan disk (which took 50 minutes) it found a bad sector and windows xp sorted that out. I even tried Norton Win Doctor which did find some problems and corrected them. But the problem still comes. I'm thinking it could be my new desktop optical set. But both the keyboard and mouse work fine in windows xp pro. I also this that is could be the new PSU, but wonder how this can affect a game. I have looked in the device manager and can no driver conflicts. Or any exclamation marks alongside any device. This blue screen appears so quickly that I can not even read where windows xp thinks the problem lies!!! I have thought abut removing my desktop keyboard and mouse and sticking with my old set and see if this problem disappears but I have not tried this yet.

If you are still reading this message I am VERY grateful for you to read this. So what do you think it could be? I am dazzled by this mystery! Is it a windows problem? Please e-mail me back and tell me what you think is the problem and how it can be solved.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my long e-mail and please reply soon.

Regards and best wishes

PLEASE e-mail me as i dont have much acces here this is a problem that is bugging me thank you for helping me out

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Phew ... a lot of info

If your "game" worked before the install of your Keyboard & Mouse ... then try the old set.

Reaction score
FIXED

oh thank u so mcuh everyone for your GRACIOUS HELP! after repyling just one reply on your website. after asking around 50 didfferent ppl i emailed one of your websites adminstrators. he told mke to simply 'check my ram stiks' and he also told me abt this form. so i decided to post a form here. but after abt 5 weeks i tried his ram thing and do u know it actiually WORKED! the guys a genious thank u very much. i dont know your name but u mite recognise psd99 as my email. so thanks once again u read this and recognise my e-mail

Reaction score
i've got the same problem!

i've been searching for days since this problem occured after i installed a new LCD monitor, everytime i run a game of anysort the bluescreen appears after 15 seconds or so and restarts my computer!

please tell me more on how to solve this problem you mentioned its somthing about RAM?

im sure many people would benefit knowing how to solve these problems, maybe you know of a link in this forum which solves this problem? posting it here will be helpful

thanks alot
Simon

Reaction score
PROBLEM FIXED

i've managed to fix my PC now, after 10 grouling hours researching, and diagnostic work-

simply put, in the end i reset my bios settings to "Optomised Defaults" and rebooted

my benchmark on 3DMark01SE was even higher than before now 12,366 !

i also got a reply from PSD99 (thanks for your help mate, i hope you dont mind me posting this ^_^)
and thought that his solution would be helpful to others with the same problems: so here it is!

"well i had an error in the lines of 'licq_error' this
>was hard to even read as the screen dissapeared too
>quickly. it took weeks for me to figure this out but
>all i did was to REMOVE the memory sticks. try one at
>a time.... then try to reshuffle the memory into
>different slots. try this and this should sort this
>problem out providing that it is an ICQ error!im
>thinking your ram mite be faulty....lets hope not...
>
>
>if not this TRY to play it on your old screen. im sure
>its very unlikely to be your new screen. maybe u got
>some other new hardware? i also tried to reshuffle my
>pci slots. but i dont reccomnd that as its a labirous
>method and if it dont work then thats a waste of time."

Reaction score
I don't know if this will help nbut I was getting a variety of Blue screens with lots of STOP errors.

After hearing so many people saying memory problems, driver problems etc I found a website

memtest86

This website allows you to download a memory checker which, after creating a floppy system disk, resets your computer and performs various address checks across your RAM. In 20 seconds it found over 5 errors.

At this point I stopped the test (It can take up to 5 hours to perform the full range)- Probably not required for a simple check.

I then proceeded to take the RAM out a stick at time and rerun the checker. After 5 minutes the checker acknowledged no errors and the system has been fine so far.

I have also tried moving the RAM around the different bays just in case their is a fault in one of the slots. Again the checker should tell you if it is the memory or the slot. e.g. If you keep the memory in and move it to a different slot and the error appears again then it is the memory. If you change the memory to a different slot and it does not show any errors then it is the slot.

Hope this helps

Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry to jump in on the conversation, but I too am getting the dreaded:

IRWL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error message, and also the error "PC shuts down so quick I can't read the blue screen" error that you are talking about on this post.

Now I only have 1 512Mb PC2100 stick in my machine, so would it be ok to move this into another slot?

Hopefully I will find the answer here, I've been trying to fix this for nearly a week solid and have had no luck so far! :(

Any help would be VERY greatly appreciated.:bow:

Cheers

Paul

Reaction score
Hi

It took me along time to suss my memory problem out and everyone seems to have different answers.

firstly to check what error you are getting Go to

Start -> control Panel -> system --> click on the advanced tab and then the settings button on Startup and Recovery untick automatically restart

After noting down the error you will need to restart the PC from the reset button on the front of your computer.

You can search microsoft.com or google to get the answer (or not in my case).

You should be okay moving the memory to a different slot.

Have you tried running the memory test programme above?

The only other way is to buy or borrow different memory, take out your card and try the new one.

let me know how you get on.

Reaction score
Please note that MOST BSOD are caused by RAM or in some cases the Motherboard.

NOW for all those ppl that are having their computer reboot before seeing what the screen is using Win XP you can go to the startup and recovery screen by "windows + pause/break key" -> "advanced tab" -> "startup and recovery settings" then take the tick out of "automatically restart" under the system failure, this can give you all the time in the world to swear at the damn computer while staring at all your hard work go down the drain.

I also am having a severe problem with BSOD, though the errors msgs are random and ALL hardware & software has being replaced in the computer.

For anyone with this computer config below having similar problems, I would be very interested in a solution if you come up with one before I do.

Intel Pentium 4 3.0c GHz 800FSB
Asus P4P800 Deluxe Motherboard
1Gb DDR 400 A-Data ram (2x512m) running in Dual Channel
2 x 80Gb SATA Hdds running in Stripped Raid
1 x 80Gb ATA Hdd for backup due to all these BSOD
FX5600 Alabatron 128mb 8x AGP Video card
Ricoh DVD+RW 5125A
Samsung 40x32x10x CDRW
450Watt PSU
Windows XP Pro SP1

Quick rundown on errors BSOD comes up pretty much anytime doing whatever, but seem to be more common when burning dvd or cd's. I have tried 3 x different brands of burners and about 6 different programs for burning including Clone Cd, Nero 5.5.10.28 and Nero 6 beta and Trial versions, B's Gold burning, some other DVD burning program that was bundled with a dvd burner.

Now keep in mind I have tried different RAM, Motherboard, CPU, DVD burners, PSU, Video card, formated Win XP and kept drivers to a minimum on reinstall, stepped back a few different versions on drivers and software thinking it could be latest version causing this, but nothing seems to help.

If anyone has any idea, I would be truly thankfull....

(e-mail address removed) is my email

Reaction score
Problem solved... Software......

Audio Codec for windows xp - causing Media Player to be unstable
NERO 6 - generating random blue screens either during operation or afterwards when shutting down the computer as long as it had being used.

Please note these 2 programs have being tested and work fine with all other computer configurations on Intel and AMD systems.
Must be something to do with the Intel 865 chipset or RAID setup.
Only time will tell.

Reaction score
How did you fix these software issues?? Was it a simple uninstall of Nero 6 & Windows Media Player...or was it more complicated. I too have a SATA Raid 0 configuration on the NTFS file system. I've read that had I formated for FAT32, the problems would disappear too, but I'm not trying to lose my stuff!!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Reaction score
BSOD for me too!!! I'm not receiving any sort of error message with my bsod but I can't log onto my computer under my user profile. Other family members have access to their user names, but I can't access any of my files through their user names even though they have administrator privileges; "access denied or files may be write protected" are the messages I'm receiving for denying me access.

I received the bsod after downloading software and driver file from hp for my printer/scanner. I've completely removed the program and files and done a system restore, but I still have the bsod. Does anyone know if there is a way to access these files? I've tried everything I know, which admittedly isn't very much, but I have very important pictures of a friend's child in My Pictures under my user profile and I haven't backed up those files with the pictures (my last backup was two weeks before the bsod!!!!) and the child was killed recently. I'm trying everything possible before I do a system recovery.
Any help will be appreciated.-

Reaction score
I have:

MSI KT6Delta Motherboard
AMD XP 2700
512 mb PC3200 DDR ram
MSI Geforce FX5900
120 gig Seagate Baracudda 7200 SATA
Windows XP with SP1 update (NTFS)

I try to log into windows, but after the XP loading screen I get the BSOD for a split second and it restarts the computer. I've tried reinstalling but it doesn't work. I load the XP cd, add the SATA drivers with the disk, click Install XP, but it just keeps scanning and finds nothing. After awhile the BSOD comes up and restarts. The error is the same as yours I'm guessing, not sure. I am still running the memory test though, been going on for 3 hours and no errors yet. I just ran to the store and bought a new 512 pc3200, but haven't tried it yet, I'm still waiting for the test to finish. I'm hoping its just the memory, if not then maybe hard drive. If any of you find and answer please let me know. Thanks!

Ask a Question