Windows XP Hotfix

G

I periodically view my add/remove programs to keep the computer free of uncessary programs and to my suprise discovererd that I have 25 " hotfix" programs with different "hot fix" numbers. What is a hotfix. Is it an error report. Can I delete from add/remove programs, or do I need to download an update to before I delete the hotfix program.

Thanks

G

If you go to http://support.microsoft.com/ and type in the hotfix number at the top left of the page in the box that says "Search The Knowledge Base" for example KB820291will bring up this heading (New "Set Program Access and Defaults" Start Menu Icon and Help Content Are Available for Windows XP) Click on the link and you will get more info :)

----- Molly Geiger wrote: -----

I periodically view my add/remove programs to keep the computer free of uncessary programs and to my suprise discovererd that I have 25 " hotfix" programs with different "hot fix" numbers. What is a hotfix. Is it an error report. Can I delete from add/remove programs, or do I need to download an update to before I delete the hotfix program.

Thanks

G

Don't delete these. These are system updates and patchesthat were downloaded from Microsoft's Update Website. They do take up space on the list but must have been downloaded for a reason. These are contained in the service packs when the are released by Microsoft

www.keen.com/Vince Heale

1-800-ASK-KEEN EXT 0362034

M

MJ

They are the updates you get from Windows Update - I'd suggest you ignore them in
Add/Remove Programs -the reason they appear there is they are supplied with an uninstall
feature should one ever cause a problem and you might wish to uninstall it. I have never
needed to uninstall one yet.

Molly Geiger said:
I periodically view my add/remove programs to keep the computer free of uncessary
programs and to my suprise discovererd that I have 25 " hotfix" programs with different
"hot fix" numbers. What is a hotfix. Is it an error report. Can I delete from
add/remove programs, or do I need to download an update to before I delete the hotfix
program.

Ask a Question