Windows XP Home Setup/Repair - Invalid Parameter Passed lsass.exe

G

I have had a disk error on a large block (250GB) Windows XP Drive. I am trying to get setup to repair the installation. It starts fine and consistently crashes after the first reboot when it says 39 minutes to go. I get a dialog box that says that an Invalid Parameter was passed to lsass.exe. I leave the box up, the user dialog panels keep changing every few minutes but there is nothing happeniong. If I click ok, I get a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) flash and then the system reboots.

I have tried copying in the later version of ATAPI.SYS to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers thinking that 48 bit LBA for large block drives is the problem. No luck

All of the knowledgebase articles RE lsass.exe seem to have to do with domain controller security on NT or 2000 servers. I just have a little home office workgroup. I have installed a fresh copy of XP Home on drive D: of this PC so I can get rebooted. Virus scans negative. Now I am wondering if I should not have set up the new instance of XP with same userid/password? Could this cause confusion? The C: drive Documents and settings folders remain closed to me when logged into the D: drive XP instance

I remain confused
Ideas
Thanks
Bob

Ask a Question