Windows Photo Viewer can’t display this picture because there might not be enough memory available on your computer.

Reaction score
Error Message.png

Windows Photo Viewer can’t display this picture because there might not be enough memory available on your computer. Close some programs that you aren’t using or free some hard disk space (if it’s almost full), and try again.

Error received when double clicking a *.tif photo to open it using the "Microsoft Photos" app in Windows 10 Home. In this case, the photo was originally a *.jpg, which opened with Photo Viewer with no problem. However, once the *.jpg was converted to a *.tif, the above error was received.

The photo was originally texted via "Messages" to a mobile and retrieved by sending it from the mobile to a PC via email. It was texted from an Android device, and I believe the original photo was created with an Android device.

To fix the issue, open the original *.jpg in Photo Viewer (from a PC), go to the "Edit" tab (accessed from a drop down from the crossed pens icon on top right) and press the "Save a copy" tab. This version created by the “Save a copy” can then be saved as a *.tif in Photoshop or Gimp, and the *.tif will open in Photo Viewer.

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I've had this several times before with WPV. All the 'suggestions' online haven't done a thing. I'm convinced its MS trying to push me towards using their now Photos app.

Reaction score
The EASIEST solution to this problem is to open up the image in a hex editor such as Notepad++, navigate to 'ICC_PROFILE'. You will find this in the first line. Change the 'E' to an 'X', so it reads 'ICC_PROFILX' and save the file. Voila, you can now open your picture using Windows Photo Viewer. It works by preventing WPV from recognising and acting on this field.

Reaction score
The EASIEST solution to this problem is to open up the image in a hex editor such as Notepad++, navigate to 'ICC_PROFILE'. You will find this in the first line. Change the 'E' to an 'X', so it reads 'ICC_PROFILX' and save the file. Voila, you can now open your picture using Windows Photo Viewer. It works by preventing WPV from recognising and acting on this field.
its works !!
thanks alot

Ask a Question