Windows XP Windows 98 SE Updates

Reaction score
I am trying to find a copy of the Windows 98 SE Updates CD - the one that upgrades Windows 98 to Windows 98 SE (NOT the regular 98SE upgrade for upgrading from Win 95 and previous versions). Does anyone have a copy or know where I can get one?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
There is not a lot of difference between 98 and 98SE that cannot be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/default.aspHere

Here is a list of the new features that make 98 into 98SE ... decide whether you need them or not:

• New feature Internet Connection Sharing ICS to share one access to the Internet with multiple networked PCs
  • The latest Year 2000 updates
  • New versions of Internet Explorer 5 and Outlook Express 5
  • Netmeeting version 3
  • All updates since the original Windows 98 release as well as new updates and patches
  • Additional device drivers
  • New versions of WebTV, DirectX, USB and several other options
I can understand why your asking for a source of the CD as I had no luck finding it, I know MS used to offer it for sale but it seems that the "offer" now no longer exists.

You will get most of what is needed by going via Windows 98 Update Site but not ICS (internet connection sharing), the other "extras" in 98SE can also still be downloaded from their respected sites, such as Internet Explorer 5.

:cool:

Reaction score
I have the CD you asked about. You must install from Windows 98. However it is product key protected and I don't want to get rid of it.

Reaction score
You don't need the update CD, you just re-format the hard drive and put any copy of windows in to install, it dosn't have to be the update CD just any CD

Reaction score
Windows 98 SE Updates CD

paulthewlis said:
I am trying to find a copy of the Windows 98 SE Updates CD - the one that upgrades Windows 98 to Windows 98 SE (NOT the regular 98SE upgrade for upgrading from Win 95 and previous versions). Does anyone have a copy or know where I can get one?

Hi all, if I use this Win 98 SE Updates CD will it replace my current IE/Outlook express 6 with IE 5 (no custom install it seems) & mess much with my drivers?

{I'm setting up a wireless network with my phone company's fiber optic division & must use their equipment. Their website claims their wireless adapters are only compliant with Win 98 SE but have not had problems with other companies that claim their drivers only work with SE (like external hard drives, USB keys) but I also have kept up with Windows Updates & directx, etc.

P.S. - This would be for a Dell Inspiron 7000, P 366, 15" LCD, 384 RAM, 30 GB HD bought back in 1999 that still works well.}

Thanks & sorry for rehashing an old thread...would appreciate your feedback though, -Josh

Ask a Question