Which Operating system do you use?

Which Operating system do you use?

• Total voters

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
After the feedback from my test poll I thought that just for an interest to conduct a proper investigation.

Please leave any comments below … remember NO OS bashing or your post will be deleted.

:D

Reaction score
Re: What Operating system do you use

i will be interested to see the end result - my money goes on 92.6% windows XP though i notice you did not give a choice between which version, not that it matters of course.

muckshifter

Reaction score

I realised just as I pressed the button ... too late, maybe Ian can fix it. I also missed of "other", just in case ... never have been one for Polls anyway.

If I had put XP home in I'm sure it would be the main contender as that is the OS of choice by the majority of Name Builders
:rolleyes:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score

I voted XP (Pro) as that's the one I use the most.

I also use Mandrake 10 (I'm a masochist) and Win 98 (for old Games).

And as I'm a rebel, I'd rather shake itching powder down me underkeks than use ME :D

oops, sorry, me bad, I'm a wascal, etc., etc., ad nauseum..... :D

Reaction score

Yeah that is very true. I myself use XP home - i really am not quite sure what the difference is between the two, apart from one is a fair bit dearer. I know theres some network related stuff but theres nothing i havent been able to do with Home.

edit: Flops you just reminded me of something - why did MS release an O/s called WindowsME and one called Windows2000 - surely this would mean they were released withing very short periods of each other. I have heard very good things about 2000 - i believe its that, NT and XP that share the same "thing" whatever it is - meant to be the most secure.

No comments on ME - Im a good little boy :)

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score

Win2000 = NT4

XP = NT5.1

... keep off the Cider Flopps :D

Reaction score

oh really? now i'm confused. i though NT was a totally different version of windows!

muckshifter

Reaction score

christopherpostill said:
oh really? now i'm confused. i though NT was a totally different version of windows!
Nope, they just changed the name from NT3.1 to NT4/Win2000

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score

Mucks: Keep off the cider? Who me? I ate so much I ain't been able to get nothing down except a glass or two of red wine, me relatively sober ;) Weather's too poxy to sit outside the pub, I just fancied staying in tonight.

The main difference between XP Home & XP Pro is Networking. There are a couple of other minor differences but the whole thing smacks of a rip-off to me.

As for ME, Microsoft made a good OS with Win 98, best of both worlds, DOS & a version of Windows that was for the first time relatively stable.

With ME they took away the true DOS facility and seemed to lose some stability. A stop gap before XP was released just to cash in if you ask me. And while you're asking I have all Window's OS's from DOS 5.0 to XP Pro. Except ME.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score

Alright, who's the wisearse who voted 'What's an Operating System'?

Hehe ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score

christopherpostill said:
not me...

anyway of telling?
Dunno, I've never looked that deep. I have Admin rights at another Forum but it's the Vb version before this one, V3.0 I think. This board, I think, is V4.0.

Anyway, I'm only kiddin' ;)

Reaction score

lol. It looks like we have some people that are computer iliterate.

I just got to ask, why put up the option 'what's an operating system' I mean come on..............How thick can one be:)?

Reaction score

now now lets not frighten this person away...

i bet its someone who knows what windows is etc but has never really heard the term "operating system" before and just got confused...

muckshifter

Reaction score

I'm not that too surprised that some people do not know what an OS is ... I haven't a clue what "engine" is in my car apart from it being a 1300. (no I'm not joking)

I have taken numerious phone calls and when I've ask what is your OS I'm sure a blank expression comes accross their face as the the reply is often "what!" ... you then ask what Windows are you using ... ;)

... and you'll always find in polls some one "ticking that box" just for the fun of it. :rolleyes:

muckshifter

Reaction score

Oh, and psd99 was one of the "jokers" the other was a visitor. :D

:p

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score

I use Win 98 on my old computer and i use Win XP Home Ed on my good one, i also have a copy of Win XP Pro, but i cannot be bothered to format me comp just to slap it on.

I must say Win XP has been the most stable OS i've ever used. (GJ Bill)

Reaction score
i use XP Pro/XP home and 2K.

millenium was released as a home o/s while 2K is mainly for business' and networks.

Reaction score

floppybootstomp said:
Mucks: Keep off the cider? Who me? I ate so much I ain't been able to get nothing down except a glass or two of red wine, me relatively sober ;) Weather's too poxy to sit outside the pub, I just fancied staying in tonight.

The main difference between XP Home & XP Pro is Networking. There are a couple of other minor differences but the whole thing smacks of a rip-off to me.

As for ME, Microsoft made a good OS with Win 98, best of both worlds, DOS & a version of Windows that was for the first time relatively stable.

With ME they took away the true DOS facility and seemed to lose some stability. A stop gap before XP was released just to cash in if you ask me. And while you're asking I have all Window's OS's from DOS 5.0 to XP Pro. Except ME.
Windows XP Pro also contains the ability to use dual proccessors. It also alows you to conect to it via remote desktop.

Reaction score

floppybootstomp said:

WinXP pro also allows dual proccessor support and connection via remote desktop.

Ask a Question