Windows XP Which anti-virus / internet protection.

Reaction score
I need to get some AV protection ASAP and have been considering the usual Norton and McAfee suites. After doing a bit of research on other sites I have realised that there are many other options othet than these two. Can anyone recommend a package that does everything they do but better. I saw a good point on one site that, as most peopel opt for those two packages they are the most likely to be targetted by hackers etc as they know they will be able to do the most widespread damage that way.

Greg.:confused:

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well i use a free anti virus, its called AntiVir, it seems to have done the job so far, you can get it for free from here. I also do a scan from a free online scanner, you can use it here.

Theres another good free antivirus called AVG, you can download it from here.

As for firewalls, i use the built in Windows SP2 one, its pretty nifty for free. But before i used that, i used Zone Alarm, its the best free firewall i know of.

As for spyware removers, theres Ad Aware SE aswell as Spy Sweeper. There great, clears your comp up from all that spyware rubbish.

Reaction score
although the top selling av and f/wall software is more likely to be targetted, the manufacturers are usually pretty quick to release a program update and/or definition update to resolve any issues.

nothings perfect. i'd stick with the well known brand names, norton, mcafee etc.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
NO one product does it all ... oh 'ang on, there is one... Disconect from the Internet ... end of problem. ;)

Ok, on a more serious note Reefsmoka hit the nails on the head ... see my sig' for some more.

Reaction score
I use adaware, should i use adaware se now? whats the difference?

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the comments. I will have a look at the free stuff and see how I get on.

Greg.:thumb:

Reaction score
norton internet security 2005
norton antivirus 2005

expensive? yes
but very bloody marvellous, does the job.

Ask a Question