What's Your Opinion On These?

Reaction score
As the time is drawing closer for me to getting what i want.. World Domination!. Ohh And a New PC

I have been looking at various places across the net (Excluding Microland for obvious reasons)

Well this PC will be used for all home entertainment purposes and it has to fit in a smallish space.. ive found these so far and i was just wondering what people thought of the systems... any helpfull points about them would be appreciated..

The first one i looked at i really wouldnt class as a PC as it isnt really upgradeable i would say its more of a media machine.. Has anyone ever heard of the
http://www.elonex.co.uk/exentia/index.htm Exentia?

I like it because of the space saving ideas but i know that after a while it will be useless as a PC for Games and such because of the upgradeabillity... see wht you think of it anyway... i like it but im not totally happy with it

The other PC is the
http://www.jal.co.uk/pages/geraldine.html
The Geraldine has anyone had dealings with this computer company, JAL?.... This system seems ok... Uprgadeable and it feels more like a PC...

But what do you experienced computer veterans think?..:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
As the time is drawing closer for me to getting what i want.. World Domination!.
psst... slip me a tenner and i will get you in touch with some of my "contacts"

Reaction score
Chris.. yep building my own was another option i was thinking of..... but knowing where to start is another thing...

I would love to build my own but so far i couldnt even find a case that was sutable for the dimensions required.....

I was also thinking of getting a base unit and taking it from there.... i am also daunted by this mail order system... waiting for parts through the post and stuff..

Chris What did you think of the systems anyway?

(also secretly slips chris a tenner).. :)

Last edited:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Exentia has that wow factor no doubt but is more of a PC "boom box" . If something goes wrong it may be expensive to replace. No upgradability is not a good option.

The second one looks like a good machine, but, as Chris pointed out you could build one and perhaps save 20-30%, which in my opinion is good saving. You can also spend more where you want to while building the rig yourself.

Just my 2 pennies

Reaction score
Quad yep.. when i first saw the Exentia i thought wow that looks just so cool.. and would fit into my small space... but like you say Upgradeability there just isnt any ..
Come to think of it,its more of an intelligent TV than a Proper PC...
it just caught my eye.... Those clever marketing people, ill just have to watch out for those sorts..:)

Building my own.. yes it may be worth looking into a little more

Thanks Quads For your help though... :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Why not make a list of everything you wants in your machine or what you want to use it for and your budget and post it here. i'm chris will have some ideas!

j

Reaction score
yep - im sure i can spec something up that will suit your needs. Tell me what you want and your budget.

Reaction score
I've bought elonex for the office... and for the office they are good machines and very quiet.... but for home use m8.... no way... I always build my own and have done so for about 7 years... I really enjoy it and theres a personal satisfaction I get from building what I want.... granted, I've made some horrible boo boo's in the past and damaged the odd bit of hardware, but it's part of the learning curve I was prepared to go through... One thing I find with some of these pc vendors is they skimp on parts like the PSU which sounds ok but can give you no end of trouble...
If you're not ready to self build.. check out http://www.demonite.com They're not cheap mind, unless you go for the graduate range... but you get a good gaming rig!!

Lets us know what you decide!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the Tips all...:).. yep ill most likley go self build... I will get the machine i want then.. :D

Chris ill let ya know when the time gets near what parts im thinking off and ill apreceate your help.. thanks.. and thanks howling for that link.... there are some slick machines there... but like you say self build i think is the way....:)

Ive just had a Computer nightmare ha ha... you know one of those days where you wipe everything then cant seem to install anything.. i had to go through Dos 6.2 Windows 3.1... Gee i hadnt seen that for a while... just so i could get windows 98 back on...(even had to buy a floppy drive I know i should have had one anyway i just never got round to replaceing it.. well served me right).... well im alive again now.... he he he (Damned Computers!)...:).. ya still gotta love em though!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Spooky Mouse, dont forget to buy some Great British Mature Cheddar cheese :)

:):):):).................................................Squeak Squeak...................................:):):):):

Reaction score
Mucks.... thanks for sorting out the Errors in those links.. :)

KGB.. its to sit in the home.. a laptop i think would feel too portable.. although fantastic machines, i think ill go self build.. its just that it has to fit in with the room as an entertainment machine too... if i used a laptop i would feel that it was only there temporary or that i was still at work...

Thanks for the suggestion though KGB.. I had already thought about a laptop and i will still keep it as a posibility.. thanks anyway matey.. :)

Pikakilla... Cheers mate.. i know of this one.. its quite a good one. i have bookmarked it.. thanks dude... :)

PSD... lol... Ive got plenty of mature chedder.. buy one get one free at the CO-OP.... :D.. ..

All the best

Ask a Question