what Ram?

Reaction score
oky doky, havn't posted in a while, well here i go,
i did post in another thread about me getting an upgrade.
i have decided and i am getting these:

MSI K7N2 Delta-L NForce2
AMD XP2600 CPU
EVERCOOL ND-18 Cooler

they all seem fine and dandy for me!
the problem that i am facing now is what Ram to buy, i looked on the website that i am getting the components from and there are so many to choose from:

Ram

im very short on cash and i would like abouts 512mb, hoping for 2x512mb if i can afford it or upgrade l8r.
im just stuck on the pc2100, pc2700 ect. they just all seem the same, what would you recommend for a gaming rig?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, would agree with Ian. PC2700 is fine for the XP2600, and you can't really go wrong with Crucial.

In fact, unless I specifically want to overclock, which I don't always, I always buy Crucial, they haven't let me down so far.

I wouldn't touch Generic Ram with a bargepole. Have had two sticks fail on me in the past, and today, after a few days of head scratching, finally figured all the problems with my sister's computer were down to a stick of generic Ram purchased from e-buyer 15 months ago. Drove me nuts.

Fitted the Crucial Ram, all problems gone.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Always ... branded, branded branded memory

... and as I keep hype'n on, allways get TWO sticks of memory when buying an nForce motherboard AND stick with 333/2700, there are problems with some 400's ... :D

Reaction score
wow thanks alot, that stick of crucial would have costed the same as the unbranded from my local store, but what about delivery?. this is a first time for me, i have never bought bits over the internet before <====complete n00b :D

if this works out ok, i will be getting another 512mb to go with it, gaming rig on its way :d

now, my 3dmark score with my exististing setup was 4100.....with a gf fx5200. i was expecting at least 8000, is this because of cpu Ram ect? does it just test the graphics?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I have the Corsair Low Latency PC2700 DDR Ram 512 MB which is great for gaming. Blazing fast.

Reaction score
muckshifter
"and as I keep hype'n on, allways get TWO sticks of memory when buying an nForce motherboard AND stick with 333/2700, there are problems with some 400's ... "

Can you say what some of the problem you can get with 400's and nforce motherboards?

muckshifter

Reaction score
payday

Ok it's not so much as a memory problem as a board problem. Contact the manufacturer of your board, or visit their website.

Example; Asus A7V8X
DDR400 (PC3200) the latest and fastest DDR memory standard, supports bandwidth up to 3.2GB/s to enhance system performance. NOTE: PC2700 maximum to 2 DIMM support only. PC3200 maximum to 1 DIMM support only.
:rolleyes:

The list is getting shorter as MB manufactures improve their handleling of DDR400 ... check your board can handle the memory before you buy. ;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Ask the motherboard manufacture, you don't stick ram on a CPU. :rolleyes:

MSI recommends Kingston memory for the K7N2 Delta-L ... full spec Here

:brow:

Reaction score
lol, u know what i mean, but I have head that different Ram runs better with Different cpu's.

thats where i heard the pc2700 runs well with an xp2600

so what about a 2500 Barton (gonna get that because of high overclock :D )

Reaction score
I konw im not registered but take my advice i got the MSI K7N2DELTA ILSR Version wiv an amd 3000 chip (barton core)
2 modules of 512mb corsair ddr400 wiv also an MSI FX5700 Ultra edition!!!
all u have to watch out for is the delta-L and delta ILSR versions are very picky about wot ram u put in them usually the well known brands like kingston and corsair work fine!!
and yes a 2500 barton core cpu is great for overclocking except for wen u send em to far and then u realise u just wasted £80 (GOOD EFFORT ME)
but the board has no problems wiv ddr 400 aslong as you get ddr 400 that the board likes which is about 5 out of 20 makes
EVEN some unbranded rams work just aswell as the top makes like corsair int the board but they are very hard to come by!!
But i would only go for ddr 400 if you can afford it because the difference in speed between ddr 400 and 333 (70mhz) isnt that significant!
but basically im just telli8ng you that the MSI K7N2 DELAT series no matter wot version L or ILSR is a brilliant choice once you get all the things they like on them they run as sweet as a nut!!!

Reaction score
Also a question for u lot where can i get realy big tubes of good thermal grease from?
(cos im too lazy to browse the net)
;)

Reaction score
ahh something i forgot always get 2x 256mb modules of ram if you are going for 512mb because 2x 256mb's will work better than 1x 512 on its own!!!!!!!!!
:)

Ask a Question