What is the best monitor for gamming? 19"

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a new monitor.
I want a 19" flat screen with a good warranty.
I don't want to pay a bundle. I need something that
will last and has a great warranty,
TIA folks

Reaction score
For gaming, I would definitely go for CRT (Cathode Ray Tube)...not the flat panal LCD types...they simply cost a lot more and they do not have anywhere near the refresh rate needed for gaming, or any application that involves fast-changing graphics.

I've had many monitors, and the ones I reckon are best are made by Iiyama. The 19" range includes those below and I've put in prices currently in the UK.

19" - CRT Vision Master 1451 (LS902UT) FST 0.26dp (around £140)

19" - CRT Vision Master Pro 454 (HM903DTA) Hightbrightness Unipitch *NEW* (Around £280)

19" - CRT Vision Master Pro 455 (MM904UT) Hightbrightness Unipitch *NEW* (Around £235)

However, also consider what games you want to play. If you want to play a First-Person Shooter (FPS) then a lot of people think a 17" is more than enough and perhaps even better than a 19" because you can keep more of the whole screen in view at any one time...essential in a fast deathmatch.

On the other hand, a bigger screen is better if you're playing things like online role-players or strategy games with loads of consoles and menus (HUDS)...these can fill a screen pretty quickly, so a 19" at least is perhaps best.

If you do decide to go for a 17" you can of course get a higher quality one for the same price as some lower end 19"...the screen brightness, resolution, refresh rates etc all make a big difference.

Hope this helps.:spin:

Reaction score
Thanks for the help

Sad thing is that I live in Canada and I can't find any of those
monitors in the stores around here. Do you know if that monitor is marketed under a different name in North America?
Thanks again

Reaction score
I live in Canada, too, so maybe I can help you out. What's your price range? I'm very happy with my NEC MultiSync FE950+ (I think they sell it as the 955 now). Bought it at Future Shop about a year ago. Samsung also makes some good monitors. If I were you, I'd spend the extra money and get a flat aperture-grille CRT, you'll be thanking me later.

Reaction score
Eric What do you think of the viewsonic?
email me if you like at fleshhopw#shaw.ca @ instead of # as you know

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know if Iiyama sell under a different name in Canada...but it sounds like Eric will be able to advise you better about your home turf anyway:bow:

Reaction score
FLESHTER said:
Sad thing is that I live in Canada and I can't find any of those
monitors in the stores around here. Do you know if that monitor is marketed under a different name in North America?
Thanks again
view masters ar sold under the brand Iiyama, they are the best value in CRT.
But it wheighs about 20kg for a 19"
Wasn't your question about flat? I guess you were talking about TFT or LCD, not CRT

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Designguru you are replying to a thread that is over 2 years old...:p

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well, aren't your specs about over 2 years old(ish)?

Not at all if they were, I would be using an xp2200 with 512mb 266mhz ram and a 66mhz bus Hard drive with possibly an Nvidia Ti 4200 Graphics Card, and almost certainly a 15" CRT Monitor....

Anything else you would like to Insult me on while we're at it Sunshine....

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh my goodness, my computer spec is one year old, I am unworthy... :p

I once played Quake 2 on an lcd projector giving an immage about 4M x 2.5M with an incredible sound system.

Now that was impressive :D

LMAO @ crazylegs.... :D

Reaction score
I have seen a TFT monitor with a 25 ms refresh rate which said ideal for gamers,are they telling porkies???

Reaction score
Thanks for that FBS but im on the earole again!! i just got an E-Mail advertiser from Ebuyer i know some of you guys dont like them but i have bought a couple of smaller things from them before and not had a problem,any way they do an Acer 17" TFT monitor 450:1 (1280x1024) 12 ms for £140,any good??? Thanks again.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Frodo said:
Thanks for that FBS but im on the earole again!! i just got an E-Mail advertiser from Ebuyer i know some of you guys dont like them but i have bought a couple of smaller things from them before and not had a problem,any way they do an Acer 17" TFT monitor 450:1 (1280x1024) 12 ms for £140,any good??? Thanks again.

I really don't know anything about Acer except I do remember a post on this forum was complaining that Acer's service wasn't very good.

Certainly a good price though for a 12ms monitor though.

Ask a Question