What do you think of this spec PC??

Reaction score
Hi Muck and Integra

and anyone else with a view!!!!

What do think of this spec? Have I missed anything out or need to change any parts. Remember I want to use the pc for office, internet and dgital video editing.

MBSLKT400C Soltek SLKT400-C (DDR M/Board)
£52.57 £52.57
CASEFLWSF201TB Super Flower Melody Transparent Aluminium Case
£124.43 £124.43
RAMDDR512MJ 512Mb DDR (PC2100) 266
£41.58 £41.58
VGAATI95RTLSAPRO 128Mb ATI Radeon 9500 Pro RTL (Sapphire)
£120.23 £120.23
CDRLTO522452RTL 52x24x52 Lite-On Burn-Proof CDRW RTL
£32.18 £32.18
CDRLTODVDLTD165 LiteOn LTD165 16x48x DVD-ROM RTL
£25.58 £25.58
CPUAMDTHB24 AMD AthlonXP PR2400+ (OEM) Thoroughbred
£67.98 £67.98
COOLGBLTAK68 Global Win TAK68 (Skt A / Skt 370)
£19.04 £19.04
KBDCOMBI Genius TwinTouch Wireless Metallic (KBD/MSE Combi)
£24.20 £24.20
HDDMXT120GB72 120Gb Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 7200rpm
£75.24 £75.24
MONIIYC01 19" Iiyama Vision Master 1451 (LS902UT G)
£122.00 £122.00
SOFTMSF2 Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition OEM
£92.93 £92.93
Subtotal £797.96
VAT £139.66
Total £937.62

The cost comes from CCL Computers

Reaction score
Originally posted by Milan
Hi Muck and Integra

That's '1nteger' m8...if you don't spell it right I won't know it's me!!!:D :D :D

On your spec...

Motherboard...and Vid card...The Video card is fine...it supports DirectX9 and 8X AGP...but I reckon that Motherboard only has a 4X AGP slot. I think I'm right in saying that your vid will run ok, but not at 8X. (Can someone confirm this or correct me?)

RAM...i would look for a branded PC2700 at least now. With newer and faster memory out, the PC2700 is becoming very reasonably priced. For video work, definitely get 512Mb.

CASE...It looks nice, and the price of £146 (incl. VAT) includes a 400W PSU, but it doesn't say what kind. If it's Antec truePower or Enermax dual fan, then it's a good one and the case and PSU seem reasonable. However, you could get a Lian-li PC60 case and a seperate high quality PSU for about the same price. I'm not into transparent doors myself...and they add (for some wierd reason) quite a lot to the price. But, I can understand why people like them, especially if you plan to have the PC in view and you are going to put case lights and stuff in. if it's going to be stuck under a desk and you aren't into modding then i would suggest saving a few quid and going for a non-transparent one. (The EMI shielding is not guranteed with glass doors either).

CD/DVD...I have Lite-On optical drives and they seem fine especially at those prices.

CPU...The chip price isn't massive and it's gonna give you plenty of speed, but i still reckon that the latest price drops recently announced by AMD will mean that you'll soon be able to get a much faster one for the same price very soon. Suppliers will try to get rid of their existing stock first tho...look out for those suddenly bundling Athlons with loads of other goodies to shift them quick. Then they'll starte selling their newer ones (that they buy at the lower prices) for a lot less.

HSF...I don't really rate Globalwin for heatsinks as high as other brands...and it's probably the most important safety device in your system...but i'm sure it'll do the job.

INPUT...Not familiar with the genius wireless stuff, so for a wireless keyboard and mouse at that price i'd check out some reviews first...especially if you might want to play games...even the best wireless mice can lag in those. You could end up with a really good bargain or a pig-in-a-poke.

HDD...Maxtor is good and it's nice and big (handy for your video purposes) and fast...is it the 2Mb or 8Mb cache version? I'm guessing the 2Mb...if it's 8Mb the price is very good.

MONITOR...Iiyama?..19''?..3 year warranty? at only a little more than £140...? excellent value for money in my book! For video editing, the prices of these things are getting so reasonable, i'd seriously consider saving on things like the case, and go for an even bigger monitor.

At the end of the day Milan it's all your choice...but think of how long you want the thing to last, and what's really most important to you. If video editing and such are your main interests, I'd go for plenty of RAM and storage, fastest processor you can afford and good quality video card and monitor. The areas I'd make savings on would be the case, optical drives and input devices. In that sense, this spec seems pretty good. I'd just check on the mobo-vid compatibility, and consider making some savings on the case.

I hope that helps...and please don't take my word for it!!:spin:

AND SPELL MY BLOODY NAME RIGHT!!:D :D :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The MB does support 8x AGP so you'll have no problem with that.

Good all round system Milan. Enjoy! :D

Reaction score
Very nice, see this is why I like to make a pc than buy one in a store. We all have our own likes dislikes and styles. I like your Soltek I had the 266A DRV2, fast, solid, ocable made well too.The DRV2 was the one that made a name for them because it made tops on alot of 266A list. I would have gone with a higher FSB ram but I had 512 Pc2100 and its fine. My friend has same lite on cdrw and its a great fast one and many reviewers like lite on, my friends loves it. I have the same HD as you but in 80GB I went with 2 HD for a total of 120GB I do most things on my 80GB but the other one is a differnt model a 40GB D740X is for my DLing and storing of stuff that either gos on the 80GB or on a CD. Great Cpu best for money now. I am a fan of GB coolers!!! I had the CAK38 the first one and it was so good I had my 1333TB@1550 and only doing 42c day time. I have most of my setup in my sig left off a few things but thats the main part of the setup.

What do you think of mine, heres pic at nite. Cost of setup well I get most things at cost or I be broke LOL and my setup is never the same I upgrade non stop for the hell of it, ok I just cant stop im hooked I need help!!!

LinkPhoto

Reaction score
OOPS! Mucks is correct of course about 8X AGP...I was looking at the wrong mobo...er...perhaps i did it to see who was paying attention?? (Nope...i just made a balls up!)...In that case, I reckon it's a pretty good spec, given your own particular needs, Milan.:crazy: :spin: :eek: :D

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fle@B@gl@ne
What do you think of mine, heres pic at nite. Cost of setup well I get most things at cost or I be broke LOL and my setup is never the same I upgrade non stop for the hell of it, ok I just cant stop im hooked I need help!!!

LOL...you sound more obsessed than me! Nice to hear from you Fle@B@gl@ne. :D :D

Reaction score
We all have own needs :crazy: needs
lucky you 6 bays with that pc70 case you have
I am all out of room!

Reaction score
Thanks guys you've all been great as usual. Your right about the case. I like the Lian li cases but I don't really need a window and lights etc.

Reaction score
I like the Lian li cases but I don't really need a window and lights etc.

Very nice, see this is why I like to make a pc than buy one in a store. We all have our own likes dislikes and styles

Just like I said in my quote for me this is my first hot rod style pc never did before and it was fun.Will I do it again? hell ya but that me.
I always saw the Falcon and Alienware pc and the crazy high prices and said I can do just as good as them for less and put it to test.

I like your taste for parts and thats the most important part of the pc, looks will not get your games running better or what ever some do with a pc.

I however think my a setup can be done nice with a window and not to loud or tacky thats what I aimed for.:D

Reaction score
NEW
XP2600 TBRED B 333 FSB 2083MHZ AIUHB STEPING :D

333FSB :D to match my Ram,even if it meant to lose 45 MHz just think of the 333FSB ram and cpu is doing and ocing later I will get it back and alot more mHz

I felt I needed a Cpu atleast in the 2K MHZ area to respect my pc LOL and to help hold off from gettting the next videocard (I skipping a line at a time had TnT1,TnT2 GF1,GF2 then I said the amount of new power Vs hundreds of money at a time was not worth to get every line so then I started a CPU every 8-10 months a year and to skipped a line no GF3 and went GF4 dont want the GF5(FX) or ATI. I want NVIDIA to take lead again then I get it. Nice to have ATI hot too to lower price.

I did one fast test and just to let you know the M.B is not the best or worse to oc but due to having alot of many options that things can and as we all know will go wrong it came with serial ata150+serial raid or IDE raid+6 usb 2.0+6 channel sound+1394+10/1000+ I have 2 HD on Promise PCI IDE ata133 controller card so I can have all masters

2083@2233 first and only try 3 hrs gaming online 3D shooter no troubles let me break it in and the ram was on fastest setting gotta love corair XMS PC2700cas2-3-3-6-1t-4 but I run 2nd 3 at 2. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd go for a better motherboard and cut back on the cost of the case, but that's just me :D An MSI board would be nice.

And as 1nteger pointed out, I'd go for a faster, branded RAM.

The Iiyama 19" 1451 Monitor. I'm selling one for £60.00 + shipping.

Here's it's history:

Purchased from CCL February 02, from the start, at certain resolutions it displayed a faint 'star' pattern in the background, full screen. I put it down to my, at the time, poor quality video card (ATI 7200 - not that bad, really). But when I replaced the card with an 8500, the pattern was still there.

March, 03, the Monitor suffered frame collapse.

Iiyama replaced it within 3 days under the 3 year warranty, delivered it to my door. They said it was new but I suspect it's refurbished. No star pattern on this one.

In fact it's fine. But you do only get what you pay for, it's not flat screen and the res isn't that high. I can really see the difference comparing it to my Iiyama Pro 454 flat screen.

Still, for 13months I thought it was OK, I suppose it's a good all round startup Monitor, but be aware it's very much Iiyama's budget model.

I am neither trying to discourage or encourage you Milan, but I thought you may be interested to know of my experience with that model.