Websites?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do many people here have a website? I know a few of us do, (or planning to build one)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thats pretty good actually!!! I used to have a site like that a while back, where I just stuck photos up for friends/family etc... to see - but that was in 1996 (still could be out there somewhere, I'm going to check now :))

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure what XML is like, but I'd just stick with the current language you are using - its not going to change for a long time (and browsers will probably support HTML for years to come)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Ah, talking of hosts ... oh yes we were ... I need a cheap one.

With NTL switching their Dial-up from FREE to pay-as-you-go I think it time for a change.

I will keep the Cable Modem though. :D

The problem with NTL's "homepage" is you cannot seem to link your pictures from it? Tried allsorts to get it to work but with no joy.

Have used Freenetname www.designs-inprint.co.uk for some work in the past but you have to use dial-up ... and it again is PAYG.

Just looking for a nice cheap host that I can dump my pictures on. Have CC will travel. ;)

Mucks

muckshifter

Reaction score
Cheers Scott, I will have a look at 'em.

Edit
Sorry to say Scott but I don't need another "dial-up" and there Hosting is a little steep for me. :(

I'm just looking for a Host ... I have Cable and just want to "plonk" some stuff on my site.

Thanks for looking though. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you mean you just want some webspace somewhere?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Yep, you got it Ian ... now why didn't I put it that way. :D

But I want full control so I can still mess about with my websites.

:bow:

Reaction score
Originally posted by muckshifter
Cheers Scott, I will have a look at 'em.

Edit
Sorry to say Scott but I don't need another "dial-up" and there Hosting is a little steep for me. :(

I'm just looking for a Host ... I have Cable and just want to "plonk" some stuff on my site.

Thanks for looking though. :)

Sorry about that. I didn't realise that you didn't want another "dial-up". Also, I didn't realise the hosting charges were steep.

Anyway, I just thought of this. Have you tried TopHosts UK? You can search through their database of hosting companies, defining the search options.

Hope this will be of use to you. :)

Reaction score
You could try 1&1 Web Hosting.

The cheapest package is £1.49 per month ( :D ) and the most expensive, which is really aimed at businesses, is £16.99 per month. Details on the former can be found here.

All packages are subject to a £9.99 one-off set-up fee. :( This may because you get over £400 worth of software, but I don't really know, as I've never used a host before. :)

You can find 1&1 Web Hosting here.

Hope this was useful.

Reaction score
Hey guys

web mania

I use these at the moment. they support PHP, Perl, MySql i don't know about ASP but u wanna stay clear of ASP anyway, cos it's turd!

My web pages are still under-development. Once they're up, i shall send u the addresses.

regards

Daz

s-p

Reaction score
Been working on my site a bit recently. Its been through a complete re-design, aiming for a similar market to PC Review so not sure if I should post the link. I won't for the time being anyway.

Freewebspace.net is definately the best place to go if you're looking for a good free host.

Scott: I'd stick with html for the time being. Just make sure you use similar formatting to xml, so you can transfer at any time if required. Put all tags in "", ie <td bgcolor="#FFFFFF">, thats important. Regarding the ease of xml, I'd wouldn't know. Best of sticking with html if you ask me.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
No probs about posting the link here - dont worry 8)

Freewebspace.net has a really ncie seach engine for free hosts, some of them with a load of features :) Hows is comming along anyway Scott?

s-p

Reaction score
Its not coming along too bad at the moment, thanks Ian.

We've finshed off the design side (well almost). Done the majority of the scripting but still don't have much content.

To see a preview of what we've done so far, you can look at the links below:
Main Site: http://sahn.co.uk/sahn development/index4.php
Forums: http://sahnforums.co.uk/

Not sure if I'm fully happy with it yet. If you Ian, or anyone else has any advice for the site, I'd be glad to hear it.

wildone

King of Modding
Reaction score
Well for all of you that dont know,my site is .www.overclockcorner.com ,I built a new server and switched to it and somehow ,somewhere something got messed up,the site still works fine and all,but the mail system is down,it has driven me nuts for a few weeks,and I am still working on it.I have quite a few computer FAQ's and how too's and anyone who wants is welscome to check it out

wildone

Reaction score
Hiya

Ok well i'm new here.... sooo hiya! :D i'm Gaz. I'm a student, currently on placement up in Leeds (rah!).... i'm kinda new to web design, but i'm coming along. My old webpage is:
www.gazman.net

But i've developed quite a few new skills since then, and i'll be releasing a (better) version sometime shortly after new year, once i have a steady server running in my house. The latest tool i've started using is Anark, which looks like it has a lot of potential! Anyone else had a go with it?

Ta ta for now....8)

Reaction score
I've just looked at web maina's website as i'm looking for a host for my new domain...

Would you recommend them then? I also wanted to doublecheck that they don't put any popups or banners or any related advertising on your site? :)

Do they support Java and C/C++ ?

thanks.

Ask a Question