Wall Plugged Ethernet Bridge

Reaction score
Hi, I have been thinking of getting something like this. I would use it to connect my old xbox up to my network so that I can share files from my PC to the xbox.

I did buy a wireless gaming adapter but it was not good and stopped working. The plugs concerned for this operation are on opposite sides of the house. I think they do run off different internal power rings. For instance if I have an outage on the xbox's socket, it won't affect the PC's socket. Hope that makes sense.

So has anyone ever used these things? Have a look here:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/110264/show_product_reviews

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Never used em mate but reading through all those reviews I would say go for it..These seem to be the business..:nod:

Reaction score
Yes those reviews do look promising!

I am a little unsure as I might be getting a xbox 360 and an external hard drive. I could put all my media on the external hard drive and attach it to my xbox 360 too.

Perhaps I could get two of these bridges for the 360?

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Let us know how you get on PSD would be interesting to hear your results using these plugs..

Reaction score
I will do if I get them.

I am a bit worried about the speed now. 14 Mbps is very slow, I wonder if this would affect streaming a 700mb -1.4gb file?

Do you know?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
14Mbps equates to about 1.7 megabytes/s, you'll probably only see 10Mbps which is about 1.25 megabytes/s

so for a 1.4GB film you should be able to stream it, i can usally stream to a laptop wirelessly ok providing i have a decent signal

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
My friend has Virgin Cable Broadband . Can she connect the Virgin modem box thing too one of these plugs downstairs and the pc to another plug upstairs and be able to have the internet on the pc ?

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
My friend has Virgin Cable Broadband . Can she connect the Virgin modem box thing too one of these plugs downstairs and the pc to another plug upstairs and be able to have the internet on the pc ?

happywave.gif

yes should be able to do this.

I am contemplating about whether to get these or not. I might be getting a 360 and an external HDD
which means that I won't be needing to connect up my xbox original to the network

Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
14Mbps equates to about 1.7 megabytes/s, you'll probably only see 10Mbps which is about 1.25 megabytes/s

so for a 1.4GB film you should be able to stream it, i can usally stream to a laptop wirelessly ok providing i have a decent signal

sounds good

cheers.

how many megabytes would I need for a good stream without any choppy signal?

I gather copying file from one to the other on 10Mbps would be super slow.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i might try and force a 10mb connection between my pc and laptop so see how it handles a bigger film, i have some HD trailers so i'll give them a try

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
just done some tests to see how much bandwidth it actually takes to stream a film, i'm sitting on the laptop and its showing a peak of 5% usage of a 54Mbps connection when streaming a film thats ~2GB

any sort of HD content though seems to be too much for it to handle even though the bandwidth usage is hovering around the 35% mark ?!

Reaction score
oh dear that would mean it will struggle on a low connection with a 700mb film meaning no point in buying this

"If you trust before you try, you will repent before you die."
lol

Ask a Question