Violent Video Games - opinions?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It's interesting you mention this article, as I was reading the same one just a few hours ago. I can tell this is going to be quite an interesting thread already!

Quotes like "It's a video instruction on how to murder somebody, it just shows how you kill people and what weapons you use." seem far fetched, personally. Anyone knows that picking up a gun or inserting a knife through someone would cause more harm than good. Just because a game features plenty of gore and guns doesn't mean that someone is going to go out and enact the previous night’s gameplay.

I do agree however, that there have no doubt been cases where someone has hurt/killed someone from a game/film that that have seen before. But surely that person must have had it in them to start off with, rather than just "copying" the film. I am equally sure lives have been saved from something seen on TV/Game.

If people banned anything that could harm someone, there would be nothing left in this world. Out of 1 billion computer gamers, perhaps 1 a year will do something silly seen in a game (completely made up statistic!). There are more people killed from mis-information, sports, freak accidents etc... This is perhaps taking this to the extreme, but there are "anti" anything groups out there.

Of course, the age limits do seem sensible, even if not properly enforced. I can imagine a 10 year old playing Doom III being quite disturbed by it! A 21 year old should have the judgment to know that this is just a game, and separate from reality.

This seems like a very tragic case, but strange that a "friend" murdered him because of a game. The killer seems very susceptible to outside stimulus, but that does not necessarily mean ban anything that promotes anything contrary to the norm.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I think its aload of crap, blaming it on a game really.

Does GTA 3 instantly make you wanna go out, steal a car and shoot some police? Does Need For Speed Underground make you wanna buy a mazada mx-5 and spend hundreds of thousands tunning it to do street racing? Does Medal Of Honor make you wanna join the army?

I think not. There has got to be something wrong with you mentally if you cant see the difference between games and reality. There are alot more graphic films out there that kids can easily see, and more than likely already have.

Reaction score
I agree with whats said.

But you can see why the parents have blamed video games. Like any parent they belive that there son could never have done anything like this, and so for them to reconsile that they have to blame something else, a video game was easy.

Dixons has already removed Manhunt from it's shelves, so I wonder who will be next.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If i played hitman or something i wouldnt pick up a gun and shoot random people! this is a bunch of rubbish. Anyone stupid enough to do such a thing deserves to be shot themselves.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I personally think this kid was an accident just waiting to happen, some people are just like that.

It does look as if the computer game was a catalyst in this case but what can we do?

If it wasn't Manhunt it would have been something else that tipped him over the edge, possibly a horror film.

The murderer (alleged at this moment in time) was only 17, perhaps some stricter control over the age limits for games with an 18 certificate should be enforced, perhaps not only by the vendors but also by parents.

As Matt says, it's only natural all parents are looking for an answer and the game is a handy scapegoat to ease their sorrow. Every parent of every kid who goes wrong will always wonder where they went wrong, rightly or wrongly. It's a damn shame.

In short, I think it's wrong to ban the game and it's also wrong to ban films for violent content. They're just a little escapism and most people are stable enough to play/watch/listen to something for what it is.

There will always some mentally disturbed people who will be tipped over the edge by a video game, film, or even an audio album's lyrics.

Thankfully it's rare. We have the BBFC to label stuff, that should be protection enough.

Having said that, I feel for that kid's parents.

Reaction score
I do agree with what is being said but I think the parents do have a responsibility, Manhunt is a 18 so how did the 17 year old boy get it? Parents should check what games their children are playing.

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
darkangel said:
I do agree with what is being said but I think the parents do have a responsibility, Manhunt is a 18 so how did the 14 year old boy get it? Parents should check what games their children are playing.
Actually, the boy who is the alleged murderer and the player of the game was 17, easily passable for 18 when purchasing from a games shop.

But, I'd let a 15 year old play all computer games and watch most 18 rated films if I felt they were mature enough to handle it. And most kids I know are mature enough.

As I said earlier though, there's always an exception, which sometimes leads to tragedy.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
darkangel said:
I do agree with what is being said but I think the parents do have a responsibility, Manhunt is a 18 so how did the 14 year old boy get it? Parents should check what games their children are playing.
Most people that work in computer game shops are around 18-25, they dont give a thought of who there selling what to, whether its because they want to make the kid happy or dont want any hassle or are just thoughtless? when i was just 14-15 GTA (an 18 rated game) had just come out, i was in my local game shop and bought it instantly, no questions asked.

Now hat in my personal experience, maybe i was just lucky, but i wasnt the only 15 yr old round my way with GTA.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I personally think this kid was an accident just waiting to happen, some people are just like that.

It does look as if the computer game was a catalyst in this case but what can we do?

If it wasn't Manhunt it would have been something else that tipped him over the edge, possibly a horror film.
Couldn't agree more with this point, you'd have to be "not quite right" to do something like that.

Reaction score
Reefsmoka said:
Most people that work in computer game shops are around 18-25, they dont give a thought of who there selling what to, whether its because they want to make the kid happy or dont want any hassle or are just thoughtless? when i was just 14-15 GTA (an 18 rated game) had just come out, i was in my local game shop and bought it instantly, no questions asked.

Those 18-25 year olds most likey belonged to the generation where you had to walk into a PC Hardware shop to buy computer games and be served by a 30-odd year old who would hastle them about age ratings. I guess they are just doing the opposite.

Reaction score
i've played violent games ...

i've watched violent films (care bears being my favourite!)

I've seen violence when i'm out ...

why am i not violent???

you must have it in you in the first place!

ps, if i've spelt violent wrong then i'm gonna look like a t*t. but hey whats new!

Reaction score
First off, its a cop-out to be blaming this crap on the video games. Parents of children who commit crimes like these are always looking to blame their childs actions on some aspect of society. Look at the whole Columbine incident here in the states. Everyone was blaming Marylin Manson and violent video games for what happened. Thats utter BS. The blame is squarely laid on the perpetrators of such actions. Back in the 70's and 80's they were blaming bands like Black Sabaath, Zeppelin, and Motely Crue for putting subliminal messages into their songs that were causing children to go out and commit crimes and suicide and blah blah bloody blah. Now their wrath has turned from rock bands to video games.

And maybe, just maybe, if the parents paid just a little more attention to what their offsprings were doing, than maybe crap like this would be less likely to happen. It's you're freaking child, you should be more vigilant in paying attention to what your children are watching. The parents are much more worthy of blame than any video game producer, music artist, or film maker. That goes for all incidents like this that have occured over the years. It all comes back to the parents.

Ask a Question