Using a Windows XP Pro Cd to recover files onto damaged Windows XP Home PC???

Reaction score
Just like to start off by saying Hi, and that i've been a lurker of this forum for quite a while, but am now a first-time poster! :D

Ok, so heres my problem:
I have 2 pcs in my room, and one of them got the blue screen of death while restoring files in preparation for a system restore, now i get the error "User32.dll Corrupt", or something along those lines. I've googled it, and from what i've found i see that i can repair this by inserting my windows xp disc, booting it up, then pressing "R", or "f10" to recover specific a file(s).

The thing is, i've got Windows XP Home installed on Both PCs, and havent got an original XP Home windows CD (only got a "restore to factory conditions" Cd that came with the PC from the manufacturer). I dont want to have to restore the PC to Factory settings as i have some important things on there.

What I do have, is a Windows XP Pro CD (original, not manufacurer's own) at hand, and i'd like to know if that will do. I mean, if i could recover a single file from an XP Pro CD onto an XP Home PC.

Would the User32.dll from xp pro work with xp home???

I really need your help guys.
Thanks a bunch, and eagerly awaiting your reply :)

Reaction score
Would it be posible to bott from another hard drive on that PC, and when windows has loaded, browse the first HD and get the files off, then restore to the factory cd?

Reaction score
AHAHAHAHAHAAAAA, sorry to laugh but here is what going to happen, even if you choose "R" your gonna go back to factory settings. choice "R" is known as a NON-Destructive system recovery, its going to back up all your saved data to a partition, re-write windows then put all your stuff back in all the wrong files and mess up some of the folder names. Also any programs you added, like K-lite, Win-amp , firefox ----GONE!! gotta reinstall programs.

Try restoring to a previous date, see if that resolves it, but I don't recomend going back more than 1 month. Windows is not an open sourced program so they make it a real pain to make repairs like that. Now --- if you know the EXACT file name you can try to explore the restore cd and copy it to your hard drive in the exact folder again, it'll ask if you want to over write the existing file and you choose yes. Easy , **** no, possible yes.
So for now, DON"T run any cds or use that f-10 key if you like all your programs and settings. Try botting like KGB said, cause you really can't mess it up more than it already is.
BUT TRY RESTORING TO AN EARLIER TIME FIRST-- Easiest fix for software problems (start/all programs/accesories/system tool/system restore/restore to an earlier time)

Reaction score
I do know the exact file "User32.dll", but my question was if that file from an XP Pro CD would work on an XP Home PC.
Like, would there be any compatibality issues.

Reaction score
NO, the only real difference programming wise from Home to Pro is with networking security. I don't belive there will be a confilct by doing what your planning to do. But for some reason I don't think that is the whole folder strand your looking for. But like stated earlier try it, you have nothing to lose, if there is a conflict than that file "User32.dll" is still going to be corrupt.

Reaction score
I have used windows system recovery to copy "NTLDR" from the CD to the HD and nothing went wrong. it booted fine after that with asll my data.

It dosent restore it.

Reaction score
Man this thing is really p*****g me off.
i do everything im supposed to, according to this page:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315241

Then when i get to step 7, under "Missing or Damaged User32.dll File", i do what it says, then the f*****g thing gives me - "There is no floppy disk or CD in the drive."

Earlier Raje said something about returning to factory settings, but keeping your files (even though they may be renamed, and you lose your programs). How do i do this? Because all i really want/need is the files. All the programs and stuff, i dont mind (temporarily) losing, as i have all the installation files on the other pc in my room (the one im typing on right now).

Please i really need this to work!! :(

Reaction score
It not available on all systems. You have to check what options are available on your system, and on that cd. I have that option of a NON-Destructive recovery because I don't have a cd- all the info I need to do a reinstall is on a partition of the system. Yes I have made my recovery cds , but have yet to actually need them.

If you don't have this option or can't loacte them, how about just backing up your files and stuff?? Is there that much on the system that you don't want to back it up??? Cant uses cd-r or dvds, maybe a USB flash drive?? Hmm , not exactly sure what to tell you, but if your recovery does not look like the image ive enclosed than you may not be able to save anthing.

Attachments

• non destructive 2.gif
    non destructive 2.gif
    13 KB · Views: 271
  • non_destr_rec3.jpg
    non_destr_rec3.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 806

Ask a Question