upgrade query, with water cooling

Reaction score
Right everyone with hours of looking around and planning i decided on some things to buy, a few things are only guidelines, and so are the prices so, i know im asking alot but if you wouldnt mind to check out the attatchment and guide me on maybe;
where to buy,
changes in what i should buy,
cheper things that are the same/better.
Also do you think this is a good combination to go with my computer described in my signature?

The second thing i want water cooling now i have gone over some things about it and none yet have caused me to sway away from the extreme coolingside of things so i want an internal system, i have alot of space in my case horizontaly, but not as much vertically. Also i want to be able to use a VGA cooler to overclock my graphics card safly, so if a system could be reccomended that would be great, any more information just ask,
thankyou

harry

Attachments

• big sound, comp uprgrades.doc
    37 KB · Views: 359
Reaction score
Harry...

I would actually advise against watercooling your computer. I say this because for about 4 times less, you can pick up a thermal-right SP-97 (the AMD version of mine) and that will do more than you need it to - you say you want to overclock, the chances are that the limiting factor will be the capability of your 3200+ and not your cooling.

What you could do instead is save the money and get the SP-97. You could use the left over cash to do many things - mod more or get your windows or general cool stuff - it would be the better solution for you AND it looks the daddy.

Your twin hard drives would be fine - you have an onboard RAID controller so you can set up a good RAID0 array to speed up your system considerably.

The RAM you have chosen is considered the best in world and should be very reliable. PC3500 would be fine for you and would allow you to overclock your FSB from 400Mhz to 433Mhz, if you can puch your chip that far of course.

The Radeon 9800pro should do you well. I have the sapphire version and i heavily overclock mine and it has no special cooling at all. It handles increased speeds very well. What you can do to it for BIGGER speeds is get an Arctic Cooling VGS cooler from Overclockers. It basically cools the core better than the reference cooler and will give you top performance. I know someone who is using his Radeon 9800, flashed with the 9800pro BIOS and overclocked to 9800XT speeds.

The sound card will definatly do you fine - its a goodun...! Its about as good as your going to get i think. The speakers should be fine too (actually...i mean that they are awesome) and they should blow the house down (and next doors) with the amount of sound they make.

Hope that helps you mate.

Your Loyal Components Advisor, ;)
Chris

Reaction score
thanks dude, your alot of help, but i still think the only thing that can advise me against watercooling is my money, and my money dont talk, and im sure if it did, it would say "SPEND ME" thats why i never have any, i just spent £105 on my drives, converting to RAID this weekend, i got my windows xp, and i got the laptop to back up onto there we go im sorted mate. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm considering water cooling atm myself.

Currently running an XP3200 in a Gigabyte board and I can't fit an SP-97 cos the Motherboard don't have the mounting holes round the CPU.

Currently using an SK800 and still getting temps approaching 60C, which is just not good enough.

If I take the case side off, CPU temp will drop to 55/56C or so, but still way too hot.

If I turn off the UD project so CPU is not running full load and only idling, I still get around 50C with case side off.

Lian Li PC61 case, 2 inlet Vantec stealth fans, which do little else than cool the 2 Raptor drives, two mid-flo Pabst exhaust fans, one roof, one rear. All 80mm.

So I really don't think there's much else I can do. I did try 3 x Vantec 80mm Tornado fans but the noise drove me loopy, they lasted a whole 30 minutes before I took them out again. That was waste of thirty odd quid for sure, but they did actually reduce temps. I had one on the CPU and the other two on front inlet.

I do have some water cooling suggestions, I've been doing a little research, but right now I is knackered. I will post shortly about the parts I intend to buy for watercooling. (give me a day or two ;) )

Reaction score
I did try 3 x Vantec 80mm Tornado fans but the noise drove me loopy, they lasted a whole 30 minutes before I took them out again. That was waste of thirty odd quid for sure, but they did actually reduce temps. I had one on the CPU and the other two on front inlet.
I bought a 92mm Vantec Tornado for use on my CPU with the understanding that i could turn it right down with a Coolermaster Aerogate 2.

I were Wrong

I did not get on with the Aerogate 2 and i couldnt hear myself think over the noise of the fan.

Sold the controller on Ebay for the same price as i got it for and the fan ended up on a home made air conditioner thing...

Reaction score
yes the 3200's are good i got one banchmarking at over 8000, still doesnt beat chris's 9000, ah well, yes the water cooling is a good way of cooling down the innards without concentrating on getting air into the case then into the component coolers which sometimes is a pain because you have 1, noise, and 2, DUST!, i hate dust i really do, and the only fan im going to have will have a changable filter :) yay, the best option definately water cooling, also i like the thermaltake one, UV GREEN.

Ask a Question