Unsure scam involving Text Messages

Reaction score
Got a text today saying that becuase i am such a loyal T-mobile customer, i am entilted to a Free Phone Camera Upgrade. Now i am 99% sure it is a scam but the one thing strange bot it is that the number i have to call is a normall number. It isn't one of those £1.50 a minute phone numbers it is just a normall number. I decided to give the number a call to see what company this was and the company is called World Networks. The computer on the other end just said to wait until i am connected and have my phone number ready but i hang up before i got any further cos i wasn't sure if this deal was legit but i am 99.99% sure that it is a scam.

Anyway has anyone else had anything like this?

Thanks

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Never heard of them, and don't come up on a google - if you've been with T-mobile for a while you'll be able to get a free upgrade direct from them anyway - I would say its a company trying to make a sale and get you to start a new contract.

I never trust those companies who spam to make sales.

Reaction score
darkangel said:
Got a text today saying that becuase i am such a loyal T-mobile customer, i am entilted to a Free Phone Camera Upgrade. Now i am 99% sure it is a scam but the one thing strange bot it is that the number i have to call is a normall number. It isn't one of those £1.50 a minute phone numbers it is just a normall number. I decided to give the number a call to see what company this was and the company is called World Networks. The computer on the other end just said to wait until i am connected and have my phone number ready but i hang up before i got any further cos i wasn't sure if this deal was legit but i am 99.99% sure that it is a scam.

Anyway has anyone else had anything like this?

Thanks

cant say i have heard of this company or so called scam before.

they cant force u into anything unless your permission is granted
and im sure they will not have your bank details they prob have ur name and ur mobile no

if the no is a normal rate one ring them back investigate

Reaction score
Call up T-Mobile on 0845 412 2401 (i think thats sales) and see if you qualify for an 11 month upgrade.

Chris

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I never even look at those text spams, I probably get about two a week and instantly delete them.

I've been with Orange nine years now, upgrade each year, just sign a twelve month contract and get the best phone I can for 'free'.

Currently Have a Sony Ericsson T610, next upgrade due in June.

Think I'm gonna try for a Samsung D500 then, just got my daughter one for her 18th, I quite like that phone. Up until last June, I'd always had a Nokia of one flavour or another.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It's a "Sales" spam ... delete it

It's a "Sales" spam ... I just delete them.

I'm with Vodafone, 12 month contract "any mobile any landline free" I just pay a fixed monthly charge. I get the latest-n-greatest Free upgrade every year. You get to keep the old phone and I usually buy a new sim card for it, they now cost £2.00, I think?

I like Motorola phones. :D

Reaction score
Some mobile phone companies use third party marketing companies. I used to work for one.

J

Best bet is to call your provider on a number from their website then you know it's legit.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice but i should of made it clear before. I am on a Pay as you go tariff not a pay monthly. I don't think it reli makes much diffrence cos it is still a scam.

So thanks for everything

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
It is quite rare for free upgrades on Pay and Go tariffs, although there are some available if you top up large amounts every month. I would say it was just a sales spam message to try to get you on a contract. If you do wish to upgrade your phone though ring your provider first as they often are able to provide great deals. :)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
all i have is a basic phone from verizon, i have no need for all the fancy stuff.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah that text message is a 3rd party company touting for your business to get you to sign up with them next time. Very sneaky indeed!

If its too good to be true it probably is :)

Ask a Question