Unable to reinstall DVD ROM and CD-CW

Reaction score
I have received "Device Manager Error Code 19 " for each of these devices .I have followed instructions from Micrsoft to restore both on my machine ,without success - several times. I have also been singularly unsuccessful to date in finding a solution on the web. My operating system is W2k Pro.Does this mean I have to completely reformat my computer or is there a fix? By the way ,my mchine appears to be operating well otherwise.
Thanks for any help offref.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
A possible solution I have read on the internet is to do the following:

Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values completely from the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Do this via Start, Run, Regedit, find key

Back up your system first as we cannot be responsible for anything that could happen if this doesn't work.

Apparently this should solve your problem though :)

If the above information doesn't make sense, I will help you through how to do it :)

Reaction score
Thanks Ian for your quick response.I am comfortable with the first part of your message.Indeed I have gone into registry and found the registry key to modiy (Do I use delete key?..or is there a way to put a symbol in front of entries to immobilize them?). I have created an Emergency Repair Disk -also have one from Nov12/03 would probably be better.
It is the backing up of my system state that gives me trouble. My HD contains about 10.5Gigabytes of info and data.Will require tons of floppies to achieve - -even eliminating program material. Unfortunately I had jusy bought CD-Rs to use for complete backuo,but did not get it done ( I was not happy with a previous backup attempt).Will look forward to any further help you can give me to lead me through this. It also occurs my problem could be physical.,ie ribbon cable etc.but am loathe to mess in side the box. Can find no viruses or trojans and machine keeps ticking along otherwise.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think you can just delete the key, and it should work (just press the delete button on the key). You can always add it at a later date if it does not work.

I think think that this would cause any harm if it was done correctly, but I have never done this before. Could be worth a try though :)

Reaction score
Thanks Ian - It worked!!!! Both drives have been re-installed and thus far no problems. Now to backup my system!!

All the best for Chtistmas;

PS I only just discovered your website as consequence of my problem and must say I am very impressed with speedy responses and, of course, the solution. Thanks again.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Great news Hiawatha! I'm glad it got the problem sorted for you :)

Just out of interest, how did you come across the site?

Reaction score
Hi Ian - I discovered your site by browsing the Web for solutions to my problem .In process, I discovered PC Review Forum .Being at wits end in finding solution and having heard of PC Review ( may hace read mag too!) I decided to log in. Great!! My success at various other times and topics has been less successful with some other forums. Needless to say, I'm here to stay and lurk and pose queries from time to time. TTFN

Reaction score
Hi Ian - Further to last post - I had intended to put ??? after reference to mag - as I wasn't sure because Brit mags are very expensive here in Canada . In looking profiles over it looks like there is no mag ,but should be!!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Cheers Hiawatha, PC Review is actually an online only Magazine - there used to be a mag called "PC Review", but I think it is now out of print :)

Glad to have you here :)

Ask a Question