Thinkpad T23

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
I have a IBM Thinkpad T23 with 1.3Ghz cpu and maximum 1GB Memory ..trouble is only have 12GB HD just enough to run XP ..if i buy a larger HD will the price justify the improvement ?? i am looking at maybe a 60 or 80 GB .

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
It really depends on what you use the Laptop for, I think T23 is a great laptop and pretty reliable, I owned a T21, T41 and my current one is T43.

T23 do very well with Linux installed as all hardware is fully supported in case you want to go that route, otherwise the installed OS should prove to be OK.

You basically have two choices:

1. Replace the one with a larger capacity drive as you already indicated
2. Get an external drive and use it in combination, that way you can have important data in two places.

I would actually go for the second option as my current configuration is based in similar fashion. I have an 80 GB internal drive and I use a Lacie Mobile drive for backup.

If you need any guidance on Linux I will provide you with specific links to installing a distro on T23, if you so desire.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Can you provide the 7 digit alpha numeric code for your T23 so I can look up its detailed specs from IBM site?

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Is that type (2647-40G)?? or if not where will i find it ?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Yes that is exactly what I need ;) Will be back shortly

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Are you the original owner of this Laptop? The reason I ask is because T23's were shipped with a min of 15 GB drives and some models as much as 48 GB. You said your machine is equipped with a 12 GB drive.

Secondly you mention 1 GB of Ram which is the max capacity of the slots, do I understand you have I GB installed? The unit's were shipped with either 128 or 256 MB Ram.

Do you have experience of installing operating systems?

Have you updated the bios of your laptop with the latest version available at IBM?

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
1. I am not the original owner of this Laptop
2. I think its 12 GB
3. I upgraded the Ram myself to 1GB
4. I do not have experience of installing OS systems
5. I have not updated the BIOS

Last edited:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Rush said:
1. I am not the original owner of this Laptop
2. I think its 12 GB
3. I upgraded the Ram myself to 1GB
4. I do not have experience of installing OS systems
5. I have not updated the BIOS

1) No problems. However, I was unable to locate 2647-40G on IBM website. I tried Google as well and was surprised that it did not fetch anything. Can you reconfirm the code for me?

2) Since it was pre-owned could you confirm the OS installed, Windows 2000? Windows XP?

3) That will come in handy for sure no matter what OS you use.

4) If it is the case I would ask you to first familiarise yourself before you undertake the installation excercise. If Linux is what you need, check out the Linux forum we have for an overview of the Linux operating system by reading the guides. After that if you feel you are upto the task post a message in Linux forum and we will guide you. I guess providing you the links for Linux installation guide on T23 would be a bit pre-mature at this stage as most guides use terminology which may confuse the first time user of the OS. If you run into problems you may render the Laptop unusable till such time it is properly configured.

5) If you do decide to install a newer OS it would be better to update the Bios. It would certainly improve the interaction between software and hardware.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
1 The code is 2647-40G
2 Now you mention it the OS is Windows 2000 pro

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Rush said:
..if i buy a larger HD will the price justify the improvement ?? i am looking at maybe a 60 or 80 GB .
Yep, it will, if it is only a 12gig.

Now quit waisting Quad's time ... if you don't know what you got, how the hell you gonna use Linux. :rolleyes:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd stick with using an external Hard Drive if you can - upgrading laptop hard drives can be a pain sometimes (and you may be limited with size).

USB external drives are cheap as chips now :)

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Mucks i only asked for a bit of advice regarding Linux ..didn`t realise the complexed nature of it all .. sorry if anyone wasted their time it was not meant ..Thanks for advice Though Ian

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Rush said:
Mucks i only asked for a bit of advice regarding Linux ..didn`t realise the complexed nature of it all .. sorry if anyone wasted their time it was not meant ..Thanks for advice Though Ian
Oh, no time waisted really ... but the IBM laptops can be very particular regarding the hardware.

Just I thought at least you knew what you had, or at least knew how to get the information ... :D

Linux is great on a PC ... but although it is ideal for laptops there are a few more niggles to it. ;)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Actually the best Laptops are IBM's when it comes to installing Linux on them, mainly for two reasons.

1) IBM openly supports Open Source unlike other manufacturers, therefore their hardware is fully compatible with Linux

2) There is more information available about installation of different distros on different machines. Its compiled and posted on a website. If you are interested in installing a particular distro on a particular IBM machine the is 99 % chance of somebody having done that and has posted an exclusive guide for it. Therefore, if someone reads the guide the installation would be a piece of cake.

I have also noticed on various forums that I visit that older IBM laptops are the the most sought after laptops and the preferred choice for Linux enthusiasts. The T series in particular is very popular. Even Amazon sells the refurbished T series at very reasonable prices.

Ask a Question