'The best content' what is it??

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi all

For the last few days I get a 'pop up' appearing when I am online. The box is completely empty other than the heading 'the best content....' and a red X to the top r/h corner.

It appears every few minutes or so, I click the X and then it re-appeares a few minutes later.

I do have pop ups blocked via NAV (or I thought I had!!)

What is it?
How do I get rid of it?

Keep it plain and simple please!!

Kind regards

Gabriella xx

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Techy

Haven't got a clue, just appears when on the net and appears as a box over whatever site I am on - other people using the computer have the same box coming up. Takes up about quarter of screen - top left quadrant.

Kind regards

Gabriella x

Reaction score
right, as chris says run adaware.

assuming your running XP.

i would also disable the messenger service. the messenger service basically allow popup messages to be sent to and from your computer. disabling this will NOT affect IM apps like MSN/YAHOO messenger.

START -> RUN -> "services.msc" -> OK -> look for messenger service -> properties -> click disable.

reboot your machine.

should then be sorted, one or the other should resolve.

i would look at installing XP Service Pack 2, if you haven't already, it contains a built in popup blocker for internet explorer.

James

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Techy

Thanx for your message. I have done as suggested (start - run etc...) and there's loads of things listed but nothing that matches 'messenger services' or something like that. Any further thoughts??

To be honest (and I know that some friends on this site are big MSN etc... users) I would rather get rid of it but I have 2 children and assorted friends that would probably think that their world had ended if I got rid of it. I am forever trying to get rid of stuff and the last weird thing I had (wrote for advice about that one too) was so strange. When I keyed in text on a work report it produced the most obsence stuff and then told me that as I had keyed 100 strokes it was over!! I managed to get rid of that one and I am not blaming the kids but they and their friends are forever sharing files and downloading all sorts of stuff.

Anyway....any further thoughts on this little beauty??

Gabriella x

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would say run the program "XPAntispy" - it stops all suspicious functions, including the messenger service with just a couple of clicks and an easy to use interface,

What does everyone else think?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Adaware; SpywareBlaster; Spybot Search & Destroy; XP AntiSpy.

That little lot should sort it out :)

But, I have all those running on my daughter's computer and still she manages to get rubbish onboard :(

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Adaware; SpywareBlaster; Spybot Search & Destroy; XP AntiSpy.

That little lot should sort it out :)

But, I have all those running on my daughter's computer and still she manages to get rubbish onboard :(
Try the "new kid" in my sig' ;)

EDIT
You'r not running Spy Sweeper ... are you?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Try the "new kid" in my sig' ;)

EDIT
You're not running Spy Sweeper ... are you?
Who me?

I've just taken a look at daughter's machine, I don't have Spy Sweeper on there, nor, in fact, do I have XP Anti-Spy. I do have SP2 installed and the one MS update since then.

I have on there: SpywareBlaster; Adaware; Spybot Search & Destroy; AntiVir free adition AV software.

Which one's the New Kid On The Block then? Spy Sweeper or GIANT?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yep, you ... :p

Spy Sweeper will monitor any happings, even when you save a favorite, and ask if you wish to do so.

GIANT is the 'new kid' ... does the same as Ad-Aware/SpyBot S&D, however, in some recent tests it consistanty beat both at detecting what they missed ... I'm still testing and evaluating its potential. I'll do a little write-up when I'm done, but for now it's well worth a look at.

:thumb:
oh, and it's free

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something here. It's late. But as far as I can tell, GIANT software isn't free, it's a trial version. When the trial runs out, it's thirty dollars.

Like I said, maybe I missed something.

To me, AdAware and Spybot together do a good job. For free. Think I'll stick with them.

I'm also wary of any company that slags off it's free competitors in it's supposed user quotes. By name. It smells, frankly.

Ask a Question