System Restore looses restore points

G

My problems started when I downloaded and installed Earthlink's "Total Access 2004." As soon as TA2004 was installed, I experienced problems with Outlook Express when sending mail, CD Drives that would work intermittently, a Windows Desktop on which all icons were changed to the generic winows icons, and a slew of other minor but manageable problems. I tried to use System Restore but all restore points prior to the download were eliminated.

TA2004 was uninstalled using the uninstall wizard and all problems went away except that System Restore points still were eliminated with each shut down. Tech support at Earthlink suggested that I picked up a virus even though Norton AV is updated automatically and screens my downloads. At Dell Tech Support, they too advised me that I had a virus or worm. All patches for worms and virusus were downloaded and run -- according to instructions -- off of the Norton website. Nothing was found on my computer.

Microsoft Tech Support tried to help by searching for missing files in Windows. Towgether we had no real success until, with their help, we debugged the hard drive and reiinstalled WinXP Pro Operating System from the Dell supplied reinstallation CD. Things were good. I also installed all Dell supplied programs and applications then waited two days. System restore points were now available for the two days since the OPsystem reinstall; I down loaded drivers from the Windows Update site -- still, all was okay.

Then, at some point during the installation of WinXP SP1, System Restore lost all restore points. I waited another two days but the restore points would change every time the computer was restarted. If the computer was allowed to run, restore points would accumulate but be eliminated intermitently with progressive downloads from MS.

I have done this proceedure three times now with the same or similar results: Sometimes things are the same, somethimes things are worse (such as no spell check in Outlook Express Mail). If the computer is left in stand-by or simply left to run, restore points will accumulate for upto 6 days then the next time checked they are simply not there.

At this point all updates to drivers, patches and inhancements, and Service Packs have been downloaded and installed from the MS Windows Update site. The last update to eliminate restore points was Windows Movie Maker.

Other problems include Educational Software CDs that must be loaded in the Drive each time they are used (this was not the case prior to start of problems); spell check errors in Outlook Express; and the inabillity to upload some programs (not all) from my CD drive while my CD/RW loads the same programs without issue.

Please help and please reply by e-mail as well as this site.
Thanks.

M

Mary Sauer

I assume you did the obvious, control panel, administrative tools, computer
management, services and applications, services, scroll down to System restore, set
it to automatic.

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/
http://www.mvps.org/msauer/getting_started.htm
news://msnews.microsoft.com
SpaceHound said:
My problems started when I downloaded and installed Earthlink's "Total Access
2004." As soon as TA2004 was installed, I experienced problems with Outlook Express
when sending mail, CD Drives that would work intermittently, a Windows Desktop on
which all icons were changed to the generic winows icons, and a slew of other minor
but manageable problems. I tried to use System Restore but all restore points prior
to the download were eliminated.
TA2004 was uninstalled using the uninstall wizard and all problems went away except
that System Restore points still were eliminated with each shut down. Tech support at
Earthlink suggested that I picked up a virus even though Norton AV is updated
automatically and screens my downloads. At Dell Tech Support, they too advised me
that I had a virus or worm. All patches for worms and virusus were downloaded and
run -- according to instructions -- off of the Norton website. Nothing was found on
my computer.
Microsoft Tech Support tried to help by searching for missing files in Windows.
Towgether we had no real success until, with their help, we debugged the hard drive
and reiinstalled WinXP Pro Operating System from the Dell supplied reinstallation CD.
Things were good. I also installed all Dell supplied programs and applications then
waited two days. System restore points were now available for the two days since the
OPsystem reinstall; I down loaded drivers from the Windows Update site -- still, all
was okay.
Then, at some point during the installation of WinXP SP1, System Restore lost all
restore points. I waited another two days but the restore points would change every
time the computer was restarted. If the computer was allowed to run, restore points
would accumulate but be eliminated intermitently with progressive downloads from MS.
I have done this proceedure three times now with the same or similar results:
Sometimes things are the same, somethimes things are worse (such as no spell check in
Outlook Express Mail). If the computer is left in stand-by or simply left to run,
restore points will accumulate for upto 6 days then the next time checked they are
simply not there.
At this point all updates to drivers, patches and inhancements, and Service Packs
have been downloaded and installed from the MS Windows Update site. The last update
to eliminate restore points was Windows Movie Maker.
Other problems include Educational Software CDs that must be loaded in the Drive
each time they are used (this was not the case prior to start of problems); spell
check errors in Outlook Express; and the inabillity to upload some programs (not all)
from my CD drive while my CD/RW loads the same programs without issue.

S

SpaceHound

Yes. This setting accomplished when I received support
from MicroSoft and I just verified it. Thanks for the
reply.
-----Original Message-----
I assume you did the obvious, control panel, administrative tools, computer
management, services and applications, services, scroll down to System restore, set
it to automatic.

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/
http://www.mvps.org/msauer/getting_started.htm
news://msnews.microsoft.com
Earthlink's "Total Access
2004." As soon as TA2004 was installed, I experienced problems with Outlook Express
when sending mail, CD Drives that would work
intermittently, a Windows Desktop on
which all icons were changed to the generic winows icons, and a slew of other minor
but manageable problems. I tried to use System Restore but all restore points prior
to the download were eliminated. all problems went away except
that System Restore points still were eliminated with
each shut down. Tech support at
Earthlink suggested that I picked up a virus even though Norton AV is updated
automatically and screens my downloads. At Dell Tech Support, they too advised me
that I had a virus or worm. All patches for worms and virusus were downloaded and
run -- according to instructions -- off of the Norton website. Nothing was found on
my computer. missing files in Windows.
Towgether we had no real success until, with their help, we debugged the hard drive
and reiinstalled WinXP Pro Operating System from the Dell supplied reinstallation CD.
Things were good. I also installed all Dell supplied programs and applications then
waited two days. System restore points were now available for the two days since the
OPsystem reinstall; I down loaded drivers from the
Windows Update site -- still, all
was okay. SP1, System Restore lost all
restore points. I waited another two days but the restore points would change every
time the computer was restarted. If the computer was allowed to run, restore points
would accumulate but be eliminated intermitently with progressive downloads from MS. same or similar results:
Sometimes things are the same, somethimes things are
worse (such as no spell check in
Outlook Express Mail). If the computer is left in stand- by or simply left to run,
restore points will accumulate for upto 6 days then the next time checked they are
simply not there.
inhancements, and Service Packs

Ask a Question