svchost and product failed to register

G

HELP!

For about a week, I've been having three problems, and I think they may be related:

Starting AOL- the waol function on the task manager makes the CPU run at 100%, and I can't sign on to AOL.

"SVCHOST.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program" error message- usually pops up pretty soon after a restart while online. Afterwards, I'm unable to open certain links on the internet, and I get the following message when I open a Windows program:

"This document could not be registered. It will not be possible to create links from other documents to this document." This means I can't cut and paste within any opened document. I can fix this by rebooting to last known good configuration, but as soon as the svchost message returns, I'm back to where I started.

I have a Dell 4000 Inspiron. I'm running Windows XP, though my computer came with Windows 2000. I have downloaded service pack 4.

Thanks in advance.

Ask a Question