Startup Error Missing Winsrv

G

I'm having a bad problem. When I go to startup my computer it always gets a blue screen with a Stop: Error Winsrv not found, please try reinstalling the application. Well, I have no way to reinstall it and I can't load my computer in safe mode or last known good configuration. My computer can't be used right now basically, I'm at a library's computer right now. Any help is greatly appreciated. I couldn't find anything on the web about it. Thanks again and this is WinXP

G

The full error message is... Stop: C0000135 {Unable to locate component} This application has failed to start because winsrv was not found. Re-installing this application may fix this problem. Again... any help is greatly appreciated!

G

I had the same problem and was only able to solve it by running the Windows XP repair utility. Basically this reinstalls Windows without erasing your old program files. Put the Windows XP CD in the drive; hit F12 (or equiv.) to get reboot options during BIOS startup. Select to boot from CD. Don't choose configure; let it go through to the Windows startup option - you can choose to Repair by pressing R or you can just hit "Enter" - tried the "R" option several times to copy missing files but it never worked, so just hit "Enter" and THEN you can choose a separate "repair Windows installation" option - do that. It may scare you because it looks like it's going through a Windows install but it's just repairing - all settings are saved, from what I can tell. Seems to be working now. (Don't forget to immediately run a Windows update [windowsupdate.microsoft.com] to get latest security patches.)

Ask a Question