Speakers for my car

Reaction score
Hi all...

One of the next things i will be buying is a set of speakers for my car.

I don't know much about it all... as haven't had a car very long, but i have found these

http://www.theloudest.co.uk/index.php?id=view_product&product_id=80

image_80_5_large.gif

and they look awesome. I know that 2000w is peak not RMS, and that the RMS is only about 350w or so... but my stereo is 51w per channel. But i would like the option to amp them should i want to later on...

However. They don't look chavvy, and should look pretty discreet with the covers on. I want GOOD speakers, with lots of bass and are very high quality, and these have some figures that seem to be better than most others i have come across.

And don't worry - i wont be paying £199 for them either - i can get them for £70 delivered.

Any advice appreciated...

Ta

Chris

Reaction score
How will you get them that cheaper !? lol

For that price ... i would get them ... seem decent ...

lol

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Please don't get hooked on the 'modding' and become a fully fledged chav ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well, if they sound any good, for £70.00 they would probably be OK.

But, all that spec at the link you gave - it is all total, total crap.

All that spiel means absolutely nothing at all.

I ordered 10 speakers today and my supplier said 'Do you need something to drive those, our speakers are optimised to only work with our equipment, haha...'

Yes, he was having a joke but half-heartedly trying to sell me something.

And what do I see on that link? The very same line, only they mean it for real. What a lot of b------s :D

Notice they are 350 watts between them, that's 175 watts each, they're only 4 ohm. I'd guess true rating is around 80 watts each if you're lucky, to be honest.

In short, I wouldn't touch 'em with a barge pole, the crap they're spouting on that web site is aimed at the ignorant and easily impressed.

Get yerself some decent Pioneers ;)

Reaction score
Sexy Bex said:
Please don't get hooked on the 'modding' and become a fully fledged chav ;)

lol

hahaha thats very funny!

i think hes there Bex
no offence!
:)

Reaction score
Bex, No.

The reason i want new speakers is because the ones that came with the car ARE chav speakers... they are BRIGHT RED AND SILVER!!

I want some speakers that sound good... and look very discreet... Not in your face and chav like lol...!

Flops: As far as i was aware - all car audio is 4 ohms as opposed to home audio which is usually 8 ohms... Alot of Sony speakers have sensitivity ratings of 90-92db so i figured 93 is better... and 116oz strontium magnets are aparently much better than 23oz strontium magnets - gives stronger and more powerful bass.

Whats this about the 80w? They are 2000w a pair, so 175w RMS - each. Where you get 80w from? Remembering my head unit can only go up to 50 or so watts per channel...

If it matters it's a Sony CDX-S2000...

If you think you can find some speakers for £70 delievered ***MAX***, 6x9's, you genuinly think would be better, please enlighten me!!!!!

Belloni... The company have an Ebay shop and are selling at £69.99 'BIN' + £10 P&P... They have got very VERY good feedback on these speakers so far...

Thansk guys

Chris

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
chris:

I was just being cynical as I couldn't believe all the b******t they printed about the speakers. Read it carefully, it adds up to almost a whole load of nothing. So that was just me being a bit sneery and saying 'Bet they're only 80 watts'. That's all.

I haven't had much to do with in car audio, must admit, if what you say is true I didn't realise all car speakers were 4 ohms - you live and you learn ;)

I have the Sony CDX R-3300 and I was considering buying new speakers, but I'm limited to size because of the car's speaker locations and the ones already fitted as standard. There's really nowhere else to fit speakers, though I could put a woofer in the boot I suppose, if it wasn't full up with work stuff.

The guy in the local shop (where I bought the player from) recommended these eliptical Pioneers and I heard them in the shop - sounded a lot better than what I have now, for sure.

If you think they're OK - go for them, I can't honestly comment with any authority on this one, but I did have a good laugh over that sales blurb ;)

Reaction score
Ahh...

Well i **think** they are competition speakers... 2000w is the most amount of watts i have seen on any 6x9s... and if they really do have 116oz strontium magnets, thats a lot of power to the woofer - one of the reasons i'm looking at these is because i want as much bass as possible without needing a subwoofer... something you need an amplifier for, running from the head units pre-out, with a pricey wiring kit. Your talking £200 there, before you get to even look at subs.

Another reason for wanting powerful ones is i don't want any/much distortion when turning volume up... my "chav speakers" as they have come to be known as by my mates are 550w peak each and they are round, maybe 5 or 6" in diameter, and if you play anything bassy over volume 20, they crackle. They are terrible!

Yeah they did put alot of bull**** in there... but then all companies do don't they... this bassbin site, thats not much different... with figures and stuff...

And i don't even know what the difference between 4 and 8 ohm speakers are... something to do with ohms law of resistance i think... maybe...

One disadvantage from buying off the net - you cant sample them...!

Cheers :)

Chris

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The lower the impedance, the less resistance offered to the amplifier = louder.

But the lower you go, the more strain on the amp and the hotter it will run, hence a possibility of distortion creeping in.

That's why most home hi-fi systems run on 8, 10 or 16 ohms - stability.

In general, true RMS (root mean square) ratings are usually quoted into an 8 ohm load using a 1Khz signal as a reference. The input voltage of the signal given to the amplifier is turned up until the sine wave distorts, then wound back a little.

From that method, reading the output voltage, you can determine an amplifiers true output.

If you got about 65 watts from an amp into an 8 ohm load, you'd probably get about 100 watts into a 4 ohm load.

Seems to me that in car entertainment (ICE) is more concerned about volume than quality.

I've actually got an old Toshiba bass driver cabinet that was part of a computer sound system setup (got it in PC World for a tenner, nice heavy silver cabinet with a vent). I've taken out all the guts, fitted a passive filter (crossover, Maplins, £5.00) and have fitted a jackplug socket to an aluminium plate I made to take the place of the old interface panel.

Next, I'm going to build a 20 watt amp powered by 12V DC (the chip only costs £1.50) and run it from the sub out. I shall put it in the boot. A true twenty watts is actually quite loud, btw ;)

Trouble is, I will need to run an audio cable from the front to the back of the car and also a 12V supply from the fuse box under the bonnet and also fit another in line fuse for good measure.

But. I lazy, so I may not get around to it for a while.

Reaction score
Do you have to get the 12v from under the bonnet? In my car theres wires hidden about under panels around the interior...

Is this for the old A reg merc? or you got a different car now?

Quality is definatly important... i dont want crap sounding music!!

Youll have to take some pictures!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Still the same Merc.

I did consider taking the 12 volts from the boot, there's plenty of places in there, lights and stuff, but I figured while I'm running one cable (audio) I may as well run two and make things safer.

Dunno, I may just take the volts from the boot somewhere, I can still add an inline fuse.

Maybe when I get a moment and the weather's better, I'll do it ;)

And yep, I'll post pix, but don't hang on to your seat waiting for me to do it :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I just finished my fifth cup of coffee reading this thread:D

Reaction score
Its the Quadophile :) Hey Quad :)

Flops: thanks for posting that Bassbin website... they do some damn good deals on packages that include Amp, Sub, 6x9's, Bass box and wiring kits as one item.

I'm tempted...

I'll have to save.

Reaction score
hahahah

on and congratulations Chris
u made it to 3000 pcr posts
FINNALY MATE!!!!!

my odds were on u
u let me down!!!

just kidding!

well done to u

Ask a Question