Sony CD-RW/DVD CRX320E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I Am having problems with burning CDs, i am using nero and the buffer level of the cd writer keeps oscilating between 0 and 100%, when i check the task manager it says nero is using 100% of the cpu, i've tried using other cd writing programs and they all make errors on the CDs, so its not just nero. I have been using nero for about 4 months without a problem, i have not done any updates so its not that. i did upload crx320a_nyk4(Firmware) to the CRX320E which did fix the problem for about a day, i've tried using it again after the problem came back but to no effect, i really am at the end of my patience with it. The cd writer (CRX320E) is only about half a year old.

I hope Someone can help me.
Cheers

Running:
Windows XP Pro
Amd xp1800+
1G of ram
Asus 9800XT
Audigy 2ZS Platinum Pro

Last edited:
Reaction score
Romity isnt some of todays burning software only compatable with the bundled unit?
just read it somwhere cant think where ..or if its true

Reaction score
Spooky:

If yoiu get Nero in a retail package with a CD burner, it will only work with that burner. If you install it on another machine, it wont even get as far as detecting the unit, let alone the burn phase.

That what you were thinking of?

Romity:

Not sure to be honest... sorry!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i read the post several times but i still cant see what the problem is?

Reaction score
Still can't seem to get it to work, i've gone through about 30 cds trying to test it, no luck yet though, thanks for trying anyway.

Reaction score
Hi Romity and everone :) ... New to the board

I had a problem initially with the Nero burning software and the "CRX320E". I down loaded a fix at the Nero site and Nero runs great now. you might want to try it to see if it fixes your problem.... www.nero.com/us/updates.html

My problem is that "CRX320E" does not seem to read DVD's very well. any suggestions would be great....

Thanks in advance

Kit

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion Kit, i've alredy tried the update, didn't work.
Your dvds arn't working properly? How exactly is it not working? could do with a bit more info.

Cheers

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Romity, I am running XP pro w/ SR2, fresh install.. when dvd is loaded takes a long time to read and during playback.... jerky... plays for 2 or 3 secs then stops... loads more, plays for 2 or 3 secs.... and so on .....

When it plays CD's everything is fine... just DVD's

any suggestions are appreciated .. :)

Kit

Reaction score
Sorry don't have a clue, could have something to do with the software you are using to watch the dvd or something is conflicting with it :( , i usually solve these problems by reinstalling everything from scratch but thats bloody anoying, have you looked at the sony website?

Reaction score
I went there first thinking that they might have a new driver.... but i can not even find where they have this model listed.... appears to not be supported by them :(.

I then went to driverguide.com and they don't have anything listed for this model....
any suggestions?

Kit

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If the Sony CRX320E Combi drive isn't working properly despite a firmware update, perhaps it's faulty?

I'd say it was worth asking the supplier for an RMA and if it is proved faulty by the supplier, request a different model. Though suppliers often won't do that, they may insist on a direct replacement.

If you do manage to get a replacement and/or the current model is proved good, I think you'll just have to accept that this particular drive is not compatible with your setup.

I'd say it's definitely a hardware problem rather than software fault, as it doesn't work with other burning programs as well as Nero.

I recently bought a Samsung CDRW/DVDROM from CCL for £33.00 + shipping and it works fine.

Reaction score
Fixed mine, bloody stupid PIO settings which i had changed several times to IDE, decided to delete the windows driver which seemed to fix it when it reinstalled it, thanks for everyones help, and kit have you used the firmware update crx320a_nyk4, if not try it. :confused:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Glad you got it sorted Romity :)

If it happens again, try This. It works, I've used it a few times. Basically a registry edit.

Reaction score
Romity, thanks for the idea and glad that you got your system working correctly. I had previously checked on the firmware upgrade and read where it was not suggested for systems using XP. Is that correct?

I also appreciate the info "floppybootstomp"
Kit

Last edited:
Reaction score
Cheers Floppybootstomp, i'll give it a go soon.
And Kit i'm using XP with the NYK4 and it seems to be working fine for me :thumb: plus it says it solves playback compatibility, as for it not working properly for XP, i didn't even know about that, i suppose it would be a gamble - its your decision.

Reaction score
Gad, I'm happy I'm not the only one with a problem with this product.

My problem is a little different. I bought the Sony CRX320E (OEM) for building my boss' computer. It workes fine under XP Home (SP2) for CDs, but it didn't read DVD movies. I installed Cyberlink PowerDVD and that problem was solved.

I put a lot of MP3s on DVD+R (Memorex) at home. This drive won't read it at all or when on the odd time it does read the DVD-ROM, it will play part of a file and bugger up. Then, it won't read the drive at all after that.

The DVD works fine on the new DELL laptop, but it might be noteworthy that both the new laptop's DVD/CDRW and my DVDRW/CDRW at home are made by the same company.

What will fix this? I know DVD+R is for the Data DVD and DVD-R is for video DVDs. Although I can't tell if this model is only designed to read DVD-R or not. I'd think reading would not matter, but I don't think it's the quality of the media. I can't find software or firmware upgrades for this drive, nor any answer as to what is the likely cause of this problem. :(

Reaction score
Oky, i need help with my drive. Ive had i since about september, but ive only tried watching movies on it now. Whenever i put a dvd in, it takes about 3 minutes before windows even recognizes it. When i finally get the movie playing, it is VERY choppy. I updated firmware to NYK5. Ive tried Power DVD, ATI's DVD player, and media player. I have even changed around hardware acceleration (it seems to be lessshopy whn i lower it, but the choppiness is still there).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question