SLK800...deserves it's cool rep

Reaction score
Just finished my upgrade based on an A7N8X Deluxe, running an XP2700+ and 1Gb Corsair XMS3200. Slapped a Thermalright SLK800 onto the chip (+ Arctic Silver 3), and an 80mm Coolermaster Power Cooler fan onto the hs, and have had the machine running all day, the last 4 hours with all the doors shut and heating on...the cpu hasn't budged above 33C, and most of the time it idles at 30C. The highpoint was reached when I turned my 2 intakes to their lowest setting and ran 3DMark2003 about four times in sequence. With the heating off (normal conditions where I use the PC) the idle temp was a steady 28C.

(All the temps were measured in BIOS)

I'm very happy!8) :D 8) :D 8) :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That is excellent work there 1nt! Do you notice a big difference in performance over your old system?

(Green with envy here ;) )

Reaction score
My old system (XP2100/Coolermaster Silent heatpipe) was running a little hot at 50 idle and approaching 60 at load...so this is a massive improvement. However...the temps are around 4-5C lower than i expected (or dreamed of for that matter), so i take them with a pinch of salt...Asus bios and their 'Probe' is known for inaccurate CPU temp readings. I'm also running six 80mm case fans which could easily wipe out their own extra cooling by creating more PSU heat. I may experiment with switching a couple off. It probably won't change the temps, but will certainly save a little power consumption and reduce stress on the PSU.

(This rig is the one i've been taking digital photos of for my building guide)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've been umming and ahhing about whether to buy an SLK-800 or not and I think you've just convinced me to get one, 1nteger.

Sounds like a fine machine you've built there.

As, to my mind, there are no motherboards really worth upgrading to atm, I've decided to replace my XP1900 with an XP2400 (2Ghz) on my Abit KR7A-R and wait at least 6 months for something new.

Hopefully by then we'll have SATA II and serial RAID boards will be common.

Reaction score
Does anybody know if a radeon 9600 pro will utilize the agp 8x on an Asus A7N8X deluxe. i ask this because i notice that the 9600 pro says that at 8x its .8v and at 4x its 1.5v. and the A7N8X only supports 1.5v. So will the 9600 go at 8x? only 4x? or will it even work at all with this motherboard?

Ask a Question