scan.co.uk - bad experience

Reaction score
yes, scan may be cheap but their customer service is dire - either on-line or if - as I did - you waste many hours driving to bolton and back to try and sort out your problem. I bought a motherboard which gave me 5 months of problems, during which time scan told me that the problem was with me and my pc. Eventually, the board was diagnosed as faulty, and repaired by scan. In the meantime, as i could afford no more wasted offline time, i bought another mobo from scan, which works fine. so when i left the faulty one to be repaired, i said i wanted a refund if found to be faulty, but even though it was, they wouldnt refund me so i now have two. On top of this, i have had 5 months of having to use a friend's pc, got way behind with project work, made many wasted trips to bolton (scan hq), and so on. if the goods are fine, great, but if not, you've backed a loser......

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
There have been quite a few people who have had the same problems as you empireurn. Can you check out the "Retailer Ratings" on the left menu, and leave some comments in there - as it would be a great help to other readers :)

Reaction score
I use Scan on a fairly regular basis especially since Dabs closed their collection counter a few months ago. I shop there purely on price and the fact I live ten minutes drive from them, the product knowledge of the counter staff is poor and as stated 'service' non existant. I've had to crack the whip a couple of times when gear has been faulty or they have tried to foist 'returned' items on me as new!
However 99% of the stuff has worked fine and luckily two of my friends ar IT pro's who usually sort out my PC problems for a couple of pints.
If I was only within mail order range of their site I wouldnt touch them with a bargepole there's plenty of other first class mail order operations to choose from.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Scan have had an RMA'ed video card of mine for a week now. I e-mailed them on Wednesday asking 'Any Progress?' - no reply.

I've just this minute e-mailed them again.

If I don't hear from them by Monday PM, I'm going to e-mail them constantly and send so many faxes their fax machines will run out of paper.

On the same subject, I ordered a spindle of Ritek DVD 4 x -R's from Tekheads, costing £30.00. They sent datawrite media which cost £10.00 less. I've sent them two e-mails and received one back, stating, in a badly spelled and punctuated message, that the matter has been passed to their accounts dept. That was three days ago.

I will not use either of these suppliers again.

The only two online resellers I can honestly vouch for are Overclockers.co.uk and Kustom PC's. Both excellent.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I really hate it when suppliers don't reply, or they reply with a message a 10 year old should could have written.

If a big company did this they wouldn't last 10 minutes! Ah well, If they continue down this road, they won't last long!

Reaction score
ive also having a bad experience with scan im a uni student in sunderland and i need a new pc so whaen i got my student loan through on monday i thought id buy the parts to build my new system,so in total ive spent £500+ on parts ordered from scan : estimated despatch date tuesday which was the main reason i ordered form them, then tuesday night get a e-mail saying the DVD-ROM i choose wasnt in stock, so fair enough phoned them wedensday to get that sorted they took another £3 off me and said it would be despatched yesterday ive not heard from them since, ive e-mailed twice asking whats going on and nothing having bog all money to begin with im getting a little afraid that its the last ive seen of my £500 which wont help my computing course at uni when my pc is about to die,

Ask a Question