Samsung’s Galaxy Note Unpacked 2016 (Note 7 Launch)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
On August 2nd, Samsung Electronics will unveil the Galaxy Note7.

With added functionality of the S Pen and large screen, the Galaxy Note7 is a powerful instrument for achievement and self-expression, and is made for those who want to get the most from their phones – and their lives. Galaxy Note7 will help people do more in work, at home and everywhere in between. We can’t wait to tell you more about it!

First and foremost though, you might be curious as to why it’s called Galaxy Note7 instead of Galaxy Note6. There are a couple reasons why. First, the Galaxy Note7 will complement our Galaxy S7 and S7 edge, and unify our product portfolio. Second, the Galaxy Note7 will minimize confusion about the latest mobile technology from Samsung, and provide full alignment with Galaxy S smartphone.

To celebrate the launch of the Galaxy Note7, the Samsung Galaxy Unpacked event will take place at 11:00 a.m. EDT in New York on August 2, 2016.

Simultaneous, launch events will take place in Rio de Janeiro at noon and in London at 4:00 p.m.

Live streaming of the New York event will be available at www.samsung.com and Samsung Newsroom (news.samsung.com/global)
https://news.samsung.com/global/invitation-samsungs-latest-galaxy-note-unpacked-2016

I'm very interested in this, though not at the thought of the price. Rumours of £700ish being thrown about, if that's the case they can jog on, I'm not selling a kidney for a phone.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Sounds interesting, although I'm glad I went for the S7. I had the Note 3, and after having a big phone for so long it was nice to have a slightly smaller one again. I certainly wouldn't want to fork out £700 either!

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Some leaked photos have appeared online of the Note 7...

http://bgr.com/2016/07/22/galaxy-note-7-rumors-specs-price-release-date-vs-iphone-7/

galaxy-note-7.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I've got half an eye on this.....

Surprised not to see an edge though.. Unless they're doing one of those too.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I guess that's because you'd want a totally flat surface when using a stylus - curved edges are more suited for fingers.

It does look very nice though - the one thing I didn't like about my Note 3 was that it felt fairly cheap. It had a plastic edge and faux-leather back, and without a case it felt strangely light. I always used a fairly heavy duty case (because I'm a butterfingers :blush:) and it felt fine in that though.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Very nice! Looks very sleek. Although I see it also has the slight curved edge to the screen that the S7 has, which means you can't use a glass screen protector. Although given how strong the screen glass is nowadays I suppose that's less of a concern.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah Gorilla Glass is super strong, I never use screen protectors tbh and I've been fine. So far* Think the new GG5 is supposed to be even better.

*Just wait, I've done it now.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I'm a bit of a klutz though, and my phone is often in my bag because girl clothes have rubbish pockets. Could get a belt clip I suppose :lol:

I've been tempted to remove my screen protector for a while because it looks rubbish... hopefully I won't cause too much damage to it...

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Looking good, and finally I can now take a note using the S Pen underwater next time I need to.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
finally I can now take a note using the S Pen underwater next time I need to.

Finally! :lol:

Who would that actually be useful for? I suppose if you want to get work done in the bath/shower...?!

In all seriousness, it does look nice. It seems like they are getting better use from the S Pen - with my Note 3 it felt rather redundant a lot of the time, and in the end I stopped using it. After all, the S Pen seems to be the main reason to get the Note 7 over the S7 / S7 Edge. Still love my S7 :nod:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Oh dear....

(Update: recall to be announced soon) Reports: Samsung considering Note 7 recall, battery pack to blame

Update: An unnamed Samsung official confirmed to Yonhap that a recall will take place. The announcement could happen as soon as this weekend or early next week, but Samsung is reportedly still working on a solution to the crisis.

It looks like the problem is global. Samsung is said to be in talks to Verizon and other global business about the measures that need to be taken.

http://www.androidauthority.com/reports-samsung-considering-note-7-recall-battery-pack-blame-714126/

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I glanced at this and had a sudden panic that it was referring to the S7! :eek:

Well that's certainly not good, but I'm glad I'm not affected! :lol:

Would you still consider it as an upgrade possibility once the issue is fixed?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Would you still consider it as an upgrade possibility once the issue is fixed?
I've actually got one on pre order, though I've been in two minds whether I'm keeping it or not anyway. I missed the initial release but got a second chance as I was registered. I'm thinking I'll cancel it now...

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
It's a shame it worked out that way :( Which other handsets are you considering? Or are you just going to stick with your 6P for now?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well. I quite fancy a new phone, don't need a new one, just want one lol. I've had the 6P since early November, thats a long time! :lol:

Thinking of the following:
1. S7 Edge - Love the hardware, not so much the software. Though Touchwizz is a lot better than it was and I'd probably install Samsung's 'Good Lock' anyway.
2. Oneplus 3 - Super value, great spec, near stock Android, but woeful customer service although supposed to be better than when I last dealt with them.
3. Sticking with the 6P - honestly nothing wrong with it, running stock 7.0 nougat, great spec's, takes great photos etc.
4. Waiting for the new Nexus devices, which incidentally are going to be called the Pixel and the Pixel XL apparently. Though they are being made by HTC, and I've never been much of a real fan of theirs....

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I'm glad you agree! :D

Edit: Official statement from Samsung on the matter.

Samsung is committed to producing the highest quality products and we take every incident report from our valued customers very seriously. In response to recently reported cases of the new Galaxy Note7, we conducted a thorough investigation and found a battery cell issue.

To date (as of September 1) there have been 35 cases that have been reported globally and we are currently conducting a thorough inspection with our suppliers to identify possible affected batteries in the market. However, because our customers’ safety is an absolute priority at Samsung, we have stopped sales of the Galaxy Note7.

For customers who already have Galaxy Note7 devices, we will voluntarily replace their current device with a new one over the coming weeks.

We acknowledge the inconvenience this may cause in the market but this is to ensure that Samsung continues to deliver the highest quality products to our customers. We are working closely with our partners to ensure the replacement experience is as convenient and efficient as possible.
https://news.samsung.com/global/statement-on-galaxy-note7

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Samsung Electronics Co.’s recall of millions of big-screen smartphones isn’t going to be cheap.

The South Korean company may spend as much as $1 billion, after deciding to replace all of the 2.5 million Note 7 phones that were shipped since they went on sale two weeks ago, according to estimates compiled by Bloomberg. Samsung would only say the amount was “heartbreaking.” About three dozen of the devices were found to have batteries that caught fire and exploded.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ecall-will-be-expensive-but-probably-worth-it

Ouch! :eek:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
http://www.samsung.com/uk/note7exchange/

"Samsung is committed to producing the highest quality products and we take every incident report from our valued customers very seriously. In response to recently reported cases of the new Galaxy Note7, we conducted a thorough investigation and found an isolated battery cell issue.

There have been a small number of cases reported globally and we are currently conducting a thorough inspection with our suppliers to identify possible affected batteries in the market. However, because our customers’ safety is an absolute priority at Samsung, we have stopped sales of the Galaxy Note7.

For customers who already have Galaxy Note7 devices, we now ask that you power down your device and return to using your previous phone. We will voluntarily replace your Galaxy Note7 device with a new one, beginning on September 19th. For more details on what to do next please see below.

We acknowledge the inconvenience this may cause in the market but this is to ensure that Samsung continues to deliver the highest quality products to our customers. We are working closely with our partners to ensure the replacement experience is as convenient and efficient as possible."

Ask a Question